Downloading Nod 32 - error message

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by annmee, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annmee

annmee Registered Member

Hi
    I'm new to all this & not technical at all, so please bear with me. I unistalled Norton & then had trouble installing nod 32 using the password & username. I took the advice of the forum & downloaded the trial version & updated to the full & it seemed to work. At first I couldn't see nod 32 from "all programs", so I went in via the control panel. When I looked at the programs that are installed, I found a number of Norton/Symantec programs still there, even though Norton appeared to uninstall okay. I checked Nod 32 & on the scanning page there are 2 error messages. "error occurred whike scanning MBR sector of the 2. physical disk. Error reading sector" & the same message again, only "the 3. physical disk".

Could the problem be related to the Norton programs & should I just remove them? If anybody has any advice I would be really gratefull

Thanks

Ann-Marie

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im no expert but, with nod32 removed did you run the symantec uninstaller tools after uninstalling in control panel?

lodore

3. annmee

annmee Registered Member

Hi, thanks for reply. I uninstalled norton (no disc it was adownload originally) & I got a message that all done. Then I downloaded nod 32. I only found the left over norton programs by accident.

Annmee

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Hi, Annmee.

The leftover Norton programs are pretty typical. They are usually things like LiveUpdate, as opposed to the Norton Antivirus program itself.

The "error while scanning MBR sector" messages are probably NOT related, though. The most common reason for these errors is if you have a removable disk drive that does not have any disks inserted. Things like Zip drives, memory card readers, etc. If this is the case, then these messages are normal and nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.