Download.com through Firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im still confused as to what u mean by the site refuses to download. can u browse teh categories like I mentioned?

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

OK, perhaps I have misused the word "download". Perhaps maybe I should have said "LOAD".

I do not mean download in a sense that I can click on a software item to download....but it refuses to. I mean LOAD in the sense that THE PAGE ITSELF (download.com) refuses to load! I get a blank, gray screen when I type in the URL and hit go, or when I tried accessing it through my favorites. But while looking at the blank gray screen (with http://www.download.com/ in the URL box) I can type music at the end of the .com/ and it WILL brting up that "SECTION"....just like I can click on the video tab and the games tab, and be directed to those "sections". But the software section (regular old, plain old download.com) will NOT show anything but a blank gray page. Does that make more sense now?

3. WSFuser

yes that clarifies a lot, thx. have u triple-checked ur HOSTS file? also try using winsock fix (will fix ur tcp and reset the hosts file).

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I don't think it's the HOSTS file, WSFuser, because it only affects the Firefox browser and does not affect Internet Explorer.

Does anyone know what to look for in "about:config" (minus the quotes) in the Firefox URL bar? I'd be willing to check there.....or if there is a way to see what scripts or ads, etc., are blocked through Firefox, etc.

5. WSFuser

for ad blocking in Firefox the code would actually be located in ur userContent.css file. u can use chromedit extension to easily access and edit that file along with three other important files. heres how to block ads using the usercontent.js file. as a different suggestion, have u tried creating a new profile for Firefox?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.