doubleclick cookies

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by tj, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Not exactly an explanation ( ;)):

http://grc.com/faq-shieldsup.htm

Quoting Steve Gibson:
    [hr]
    Q:
    What happened to the free NoShare and LetShare utilities? They were on this site for a while, then they disappeared and the versions I had have now "expired". They worked great, so why are they gone?

A:
    NoShare and LetShare were terrific solutions for quickly, easily, and reversibly disabling and enabling NetBIOS resource sharing. But they required more technical support than we were able to provide. With this site's traffic being as high as it is, so many thousands of copies were being downloaded every day that even a low percentage of people who wanted to know "how to install it" (you don't) or how to remove it (just delete it) or where it went in their computer after they downloaded it (how should we knowo_O?) that the responsibility of supporting a "code solution" was too much. Also, many people don't like running random executable programs (especially people who don't know me and the way I author programs.)

So, when I figured out how to use network binding to achieve the same results I joyfully discontinued offering NoShare and LetShare . . . and the technical support questions died down almost immediately. If you really want to use them, those links above will get you new, non-expired, versions. But we will not answer eMail about them . . . okay?

2. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi FanJ, Thanks for the link. I downloaded both Noshare and Letshare utilities, renamed vnbt.386 back, then ran the Noshare utility. It renames that file, but I was wondering what else it does, if anything, if you know. Long time ago, after running Shieldsup, using Zone Alarm, it showed stealth on those ports and I thought they were disabled, because I do not have any file sharing or printer sharing enabled. Looking back, I guess ZA was just doing it's job. After finally escaping from AOL's spy service a couple of months ago, I switched to Earthlink. Do not use their software, just set up an account, created dialup connection to their service, and after connecting is when I noticed the aforementioned ports always listening, but never connecting(ZA again?) I guess. Hopefully, now I am a little safer than before. Appreciate the help.

3. Paragon

Paragon Guest

Note, there should never be any connections showing up on ports 137, 138, or 139. These are reserved for NetBIOS which is a connectionless protocol. It uses UDP ports 137, 138, and 139. If a connection is showing up on one of those ports it is using a TCP port, which would mean it's not NetBIOS and shouldn't be on that port. That would warrant some investigating.

4. Paragon

Paragon Guest

Another thing, I don't know if this has been said before (I haven't read all 4 pages), but DoubleClick has a page to set an "OptOut" cookie so you don't recieve any more DoubleClick cookies, and Ad-Aware is aware of this cookie (the updated version of Ad-Aware anyway).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.