Double or dual layer DVD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fourwheeler, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourwheeler

fourwheeler Registered Member

Hi, in the FAQs Acronis states: "All current versions of Acronis True Image beginning with build 3625 can burn directly to DVDs. We support DVD+R, DVR+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM. DVD+R Double Layer is fully supported; DVD-R Dual Layer is not supported."
    I'm puzzled because Wikipedia says that "dual" and "double" are the same thing!!
    I really need some help here because I couldn't backup to DVDs (TI last version gives an error message). I have a Sony Vajo with what they call "blue ray" DVD which can use DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM.
    Thank you for any answer. Ciao
    PS I read in the newsgroup that I'd better back up to an external drive....

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

DVD + R ; DVD - R

See nothing different?

:)

For what it's worth, backup to an external disk is better, MUCH FASTER.... ;)

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Amen!!!!

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Not only is it much faster backing up to a hard drive, if you use DVDs instead, the real surprise comes when you have to restore from those DVDs.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. fourwheeler

fourwheeler Registered Member

Thank you all for your answers!

Still I have my problem because I was actually using DVD +R double layer and TI froze. Maybe it has to do with the compression algorithm as I read here in some other post. Anyway I just bought an external HD and I will try to back up without compression
    Ciao

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

At one time I entertained the option of using Dual layer DVD's for backing up, rather that use 2 4.7 GB DVD's. Then it hit me that they don't make DLDVD+RW disks, so every time you do a backup it's $5 for a +R. So I continued to use DVD+RW disks. It got to the point I was using 3 disks for a backup, having to change disks every 20 minutes. Fast forward to a short time ago when I bought an ext. HD, and now I set it and walk away.:D

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Precisely one of the compelling reasons to use a hard drive to hold backups. As the TV commercial says, "Set it and .... forget it". Okay, not quite, but close anyway :D

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Actually if you backup to an internal slave hard drive Set it and forget it can become a reality.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.