Double Anti-spy - maybe the first multi-engine AS ever made

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by quanzi_1507, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Did you buy it ? It seems there is no trial available.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

So this is double anti-spy professional.

By accident I found this list: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79754

It mentions AntiSpyPro.

The name is somewhat different.

Is this an attempt to get members of this forum to download rogue security software ?

I would have checked out the software myself (uploading it to Virustotal, Jotti and Anubis), but there seems to be no trial, only a paid version ...

There is a website called: www.doubleantispy.com
    It sells Double Anti-Spy Professional. It also mentions 'Avanquest Software'.
    A whois for this website:
    ' Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States'

So the owner (or should I say deviant ?) hides behind a service. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_privacy

I am nearly 100 % certain that this is a rogue.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

No I didn't. As Avanquest hasn't offered the download link yet, I had to do some searches to find it. Since softpedia offer the direct download link of Avanquest SystemSuite Professional, I just navigated from there a little bit, and then I found "DAS Pro 1.2.2.2 Full.exe". The trial did exist, they just haven't published it yet, as I've said before, maybe because it's a new product.

And about that part:
    Just read this:
    Code:
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=printpage%3Btopic=48633.0
    About the fact that the owner "hides behind a service", sorry I don't understand how that could mean "DAS is a rogue". Maybe because of my lack of experience, can you explain it more properly?

EDIT: About what I've said earlier, sorry it seems that the "Engine B" is Outpost, not PC Tools' SD.
    Code:
    http://remove-malware.com/antimalware/avoid-this/double-antispy-%e2%80%93-rated-1/comment-page-1/#comment-3990

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I checked Softpedia. I selected the Avanquest SystemSuite Professional, checked for 'more programs', but didn't find DAS. I searched Softpedia for the product but could not find it. I googled it again, but only found torrents, rapidshare etc.

So I'll stand by 'it's a rogue'. If you can give me the exact location where the trial can be downloaded, I may upload it to Virustotal, Jotti, Anubis etc.

About hiding behind a service (like Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.): it would be understandable if an individual would use such a service to maintain his privacy. But I don't believe this is a one-man show, and since it's a company alledgedly selling security software, hiding whoever is behind the product is VERY suspicious.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

quanzi_1507, I removed your last Post for an Offline Review by the Administrators and have closed this thread pending investigation.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

JR

Edit: after further review, we don't think the product is rogue, but, we also can't speak to its overall quality or the value provided for its price.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.