DOS and Rescue thread?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by Mele20, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Where did the thread go to the link to get the program to get the now two needed (rather than one) floppies created for Rescue using NOD DOS? Rodzilla posted it last night. I can't remember the website to go to.

Never mind. I found the web site to get the software.

2. marti

marti Registered Member

Where is that thread? I was planning to come back and look at Rod's link and didn't.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I thought I had sent the message to Randy, but that was a different one that Rod posted last night. So, I can't reproduce Rod's message, but here's the link:

http://www.avdisk.org/pages/about.html

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Obviously, the thread has been pulled by Rod himself - he might comment on this next time he drops by ;).

Thanks for the link, Mele!

regards.

paul

5. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Yep ... I killed it to pre-empt future problems. I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote the post. I use 98SE startup disks for booting into DOS on XP (FT32) and I can do virrtually anything I like, including run NOD32 for DOS, but it seems that AVDisk doesn't work with XP alone ... I imagine because because XP is missing some of the required DOS commands.

It will work OK with 95/98.

I've emailed Deniz about it. Dunno if there is anything he can do to make it work with XP.

http://www.avdisk.org is the place to fing out more.

6. rodzilla

Aloha Meleliga!

Manuia Kerisimasi ma le Tausaga Fou!

rod

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>Manuia Kerisimasi ma le Tausaga Fou

Mahalo for the Samoan holiday greetings! :) :)
    Mele Kalikimaka! Hauloi Makahiki hou.

Christmas blessings,
    Meleleliga

8. marti

marti Registered Member

You need PKZip to run AVDisk -- PKZip is not freeware. :(

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

> You need PKZip to run AVDisk -- PKZip is not freeware.

UGH! And PKZIP 2.50 for DOS is $47.00!! That is more than the cost of NOD32! Like many users, I have WinZip and I certainly would not fork out money for another utility of this nature. :( :(

10. rodzilla

PKZip 2.04g is shareware. Lots of sites still have it, including http://www.hwcn.org/pda/pc/offline/pkz204g.exe

11. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume Registered Member

The AVdisk program only seems to work with Win95/98. It also seems strange that they want to use PKZip to create the disks, supposedly since it can span diskettes. There are many compression programs that can also do this and are free. It seems silly to have to pay more for PKZip than i do for the more modern compression programs in order to create a free rescue disk. Hopefully version 2 of NOD will address this situation and create diskettes easily as required. It would also be nice if the instructions for carrying this out are an improvement on the current NOD manual.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>PKZip 2.04g is shareware. Lots of sites still have it, including http://www.hwcn.org/pda/pc/offline/pkz204g.exe

OK. I went and got it. Then Script Sentry gave me a hard time on reading the word documents.

That looks extremely complicated. I don't know any DOS and only know how to use WinZip in its wizard form where everything is done automatically. This is the very sort of thing that I sure hope is addressed and fixed in version 2. Anyone, no matter their level of knowledge of DOS, etc. should be able to create rescue disks in a few moments very simply. You can do this with just about every other av program out there (for W95/9:cool:. Should be able to do it with NOD. NOD is definitely the best scanner, but it has to, at the same time, be one of the worst as far as ease of user interface and the manual sucks! Sorry to be so blunt, but it is true!

I have a friend who will soon be getting her first computer. She asked me about av programs and I can't, in good conscience, recommend NOD32 because she would find it way too difficult to use and the manual isn't much help. I find this frustrating and I hope this all changes with the new version.

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Come now Mele20, Nod32 is one of the most simple and logical programs to use, you shouldn't need the manuel. Set it up for her, and walk her through what you are doing.

It is a set and forget program, one of the best if not the very best I have ever come across :D

Cheers

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Sorry, but NAV is FAR more simple to set up!! So is every other antivirus I have tried. This is by far the most difficult. All the others use wizards and there is no/minor user configuration needed. That is what is called simple. NOD32 is user unfriendly for set up. It can't even automatically set up email scanning for Mozilla mail and every other antivirus I've tried can. For use, it is ok , but it is still user unfriendly compared to others I've tried. Who wants three icons in their sys tray? And who wants to have to go into programs and call up NOD when you want to scan ...you should be able to do that and check email scanning everything from one window in the systray. Who wants error messages that are irrelevant, but that worry you because no other antivirus gives them so you think they may be important? Who wants a website that can't be bothered to give information on the viruses that it detects so that the user has to go Symantec or some other rival for the information? Recently, there was a hot new worm everyone was talking about and ONLY NOD never had any information on their website about it! Everyone else had info immediately. I had to go to rival sites to read about it. NAV has only one thing wrong with it, but it is huge and that is that Symantec recently farmed out tech support to India and it is horrible.

Plus, I sure can't figure out how to make Rescue disks for NOD! I had no problem at all with NAV, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc. Rescue is the heart of antivirus and I have none since I got NOD32. That is a HUGE minus in my opinion. To balance that, NOD has the best scanner. No question about that, but in every other way it leaves a lot to be desired. As for its small footprint, it uses exactly the same amount of resources that NAV 2003 uses.

It seems to me that NOD (in its present form) is the best choice for those who engage in risky internet behaviors, but is not the best choice for conservative users. I'm hoping that the new version will change all that. :)

As for my friend, I'm hoping the new NOD will have a clean enough interface and be simple enough to install and configure that I can recommend it. If she buys a computer before then though, I will recommend NAV because it so easy to set up and use and I can very easily troubleshoot NAV for her...I still do it for a lot of people.

15. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Mele,

Since hardly any complaints have come in about NOD32 being user unfriendly in regard to the set up, I'm sorry to hear you feel it is.

As explained, the automatic POP3 scanner set up is focussed on the email client in use by 95% from all users. We have provided extensive instructions plus screen shots how to manually configure this one in regard to other email clients.

As has been announced, the upcoming v2.0 will have just one.

When configured correctly, there's no need to perform separate file scans - the AMON will take care of real-time scanning, download managers can be configured to scan downloaded files on the spot. IMO the "right-click" individual file scan option is a nice extra - in use by many other antiviruses as well.

As I replied in a different thread on this forum: this is called consistency. When commanding NOD32 to perform a full deep system scan all files will be examined, none excluded - and the swap file is one of them. There's logic in this.

Eset has announced this will change in the near future.

I do agree this issue needs attending.

Well, that's a HUGE plus, compensating at the least the hugh minus you've mentioned ;)

Fairly all issues will be addressed in the upcoming v2.0 as far as necessary - and announced as well ;)

..leaving size out of it: compare both .exe's plus updates for size, and at least those on dial up are happy campers as for phone bills is concerned.

I fail to see "risky internet behaviour" coming into play here. The average user does surf to all sorts of places, unaware of possible dangers lurking. NOD32 will provide adequate protection for those "common" internet users.

As stated above and in many threads on this forum, the upcoming version will address lots of issues - including most of the ones you have mentioned ;).

regards.

paul

16. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hey Mele,

although NOD has many good parameters, there are still some things to improve. It should be easy to use for everyone. I bet you will like the new version more.
    NOD32 for DOS together with all virus definitions updates database used to fit to one diskette - now is the database a bit bigger - but it will be changed to suit the users better.

Thanks for the points

rgds, :)

jan

17. marti

marti Registered Member

I give up -- this is way too confusing to mess with. I got PKzip and tried to read the "readme file." It says "readme.doc" but it's not an MSWord document; you have to open in it Notepad.

I can't figure out how to use "AVDisk."

I don't have time to learn how to use either program, for the next few days.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>It says "readme.doc" but it's not an MSWord document; you have to open in it Notepad.

That's odd because I could read it (but it didn't have any useful information to helpme set this up...you didn't miss anything!) in Word. Script Sentry gave me a hard time and complained and complained because it said "the file you have selectd is not an OLE document". Once I got the warning out of the way, I could read in in Word. What version of Word do you have? Maybe that is the problem. I have Word 97.

19. marti

marti Registered Member

Word 2000 (I think). I got the OLE warning also. I'll look at all this again later, too much to worry about for the next few days (people are coming over tomorrow).

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi,

as Paul has already mentioned, the new beta version (already
    available for download on the Slovak website) has many new
    features implemented and the former ones improved.

As regards the second question, you can make a bootable
    diskette and another one containing the DOS version of NOD32.
    Unfortunately this one must be formatted on a higher capacity
    using a special utility as the size of NOD32 slightly exceeds its
    volume. We will take a further look into this issue so it would be
    easier for users to make rescue diskettes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.