Don't use *any* passwords on your desktop

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by j2callie, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j2callie

j2callie Registered Member

Fred Langa had an article on Information Week, that (in passing) recommended everyone should be using a Limited acct for day-to-day activities. This is something that's not been addressed much, but seems pretty basic to me. So I researched a little and came across Aaron Margosis' weblog on exactly that topic. Here's another interesting quote:

-------
    OK, I know you’re bursting already: “No password?!?! Are you insane?!?!” Cool down, now. Starting with Windows XP, a blank password is actually more secure for certain scenarios than a weak password. By default, an account with a blank password can be used only for logging on at the console. It cannot be used for network access, and it cannot be used with RunAs. The user experience of just clicking on your name to log on can’t be beat for simplicity. If you can trust everyone who has physical access to the computer not to log on as someone else or abuse the admin account, this is a great way to go. If not, you can always enable passwords.
    -----------

He has a series of posts on Running as Non-Admin:

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2004/06/17/158806.aspx

and he's been very nice to respond to email questions I had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.