Don't like Xfce but Dreamlinux is beautiful

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by steve161, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Thanks to all the linux heads that talked it up. Mrk gets special attention, but props for Paul for having this forum.

Edit: Manual install was simple, blazingly fast (is that a word?) Very happy.

Need to change the avatar

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Hi Benny,
    there are some great distros knocking about these days. I'm really glad I discovered Linux. Mind you, I'm kind of over the distro hopping stage but between Centos, Mint, Pclos, Mandriva et al, there are loads of good choices. If I ever tire of Ubuntu I'll probably try my hand at Arch.
    I've heard that Dreamlinux is really beautiful. Good to know that it's fast as well.

3. steve161

Hey, thanks Riverrun:

9.04 was a no go on my system. I love ubuntu but I decided to distro
    hop and I am very happy with my choice. I'll be back for 9.10.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, DreamLinux, and OpenSusse. SAdly i have to say that font in linux is rather immature and non-crispy on a wide screen laptop monitor. I can never like this.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Fonts in Ubuntu look good to me, not sure what you're talking about?

6. steve161

I'm fairly certain it is my system, but with Ubuntu, it was necessary for me to enable autohinting through fontconfig so the fonts did not look washed out. However, 9.04 has a bug where, for some, the command does nothing. Also, the default slight hinting would give off some strange color tinting that was annoying. My fonts in 8.04 were great.

7. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

It's called LCD subpixel rendering and can easily be turned on or adjusted in most distros. Or if you want a wider selection of font types, you merely install them from the distro repositories.

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

AFAIK both GNOME and KDE offer multiple font-smoothing options, you can toy around with them until you find the one you like best. As for the ugly default fonts, just copy the ones you want from Vista and install them in Linux.

9. richslxh

richslxh Registered Member

For those of you who aren't all that keen on Xfce, Dreamlinux also has a Gnome edition. I am currently testing the Dreamlinux 4.0 Alpha Gnome Edition and it is very fast compared to other Gnome using Linux distros.
    Screenies and a bit of info here:
    http://richs-lxh.linux-hardcore.com/2009/05/dreamlinux-40-gnome-sneak-peak/

By the way, I am posting from my widescreen laptop which has a triple boot of Dreamlinux 3.5, Ubuntu 9.04, and Backtrack 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.