Does ZoneAlarm PRO 6 protect the registry?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by POS, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POS

POS Guest

Does ZoneAlarm PRO 6 protect the windows registry? Do I need PG and Regdefend if I have ZOneAlarm firewall?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I believe it does have registry monitoring and protection. Whether you need those other programs or not I don't know. Guess it depends on how nasty your internet habits are...

3. Arup

Arup Guest

ZAP 6 incorporates OS protection,that component takes care of the resgistry as well as other parts of OS like system files etc.

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

ZA's OS Firewall monitors your registry and system files for any suspicious behavious such as modification or insertion. It also monitors for other stuff like a process being opened by another process and softwares monitoring your keyboard and mouse.

It is possible for ZA to have conflicts to other programs that perform similar functions like PG etc. but so far nobody has reported having any problems using these two software together.

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

ZA's OS Firewall monitors your registry...

Does it really?

I hadn't noticed! What keys is it monitoring?

I run both PG and RD alongside ZAP and have not had any conflicts - though I have noticed a bit of duplication with PG, but not with RD.

If I had to use an analogy, I'd have said ZA's OS FW was more like SSM than PG/RD

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's probably a question you'll have to ask Zone Labs. I doubt anyone here actually knows which keys.

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've not tried myself, but someone might have had a look at RegMon to see what ZA is up to.

Looking at the documentation, a 'Registry event' is said to be one of the types of alert the OS FW will notify you of - but it doen't indicate how extensive this protection might be. Which leaves us none the wiser as to how effective ZA actually is in this area.

Based on my own experience, I would guess it is fairly limited.

8. mcastr

mcastr Registered Member

I've seen it pop alerts on programs trying to add themselves to the

\RUN and \RUNONCE keys.

Marcus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.