Does Zone Alarm free have the Network Wizard?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by vincenzo, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

ZA free is not detecting my network - I'm wondering if the New Network Wizard is only in the Pro version.

Thanks

2. Arup

Arup Guest

vincenzo,

Can you give me some more details on your type of connection? Router, dial up, cable DSL etc.

3. vincenzo

Connecting wireless via D link DI614 wireless router, cable.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

ZA free won't work with wireless, you will have to upgrade to ZA Pro.

5. vincenzo

Are you saying ZA free won't work with wireless, or do you mean the New Network Wizard in ZA free will not work with wireless?

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Wi Fi is not supported in ZA free, in ZAPro, they have a tab under option for detecting Wi-Fi networks.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, oddly enough, ZA Free works fine here on my wireless. I don't know what it means when they say ZA Free doesn't "support" wireless, but it does work ok. Detected my network adapter fine and works great.

8. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I think it just doesn't support the detection of new wireless i.e. when using a hot spot or something

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, there must be some reason for them saying it's not supported. Wasn't sure what it was though..

10. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

ZA (free) indeed does not support Wireless in the sense that it will not automatically detect any wireless networks. You can still use wireless with the free version but you would need to manually add the router's IP and the IP of any computer (you want to share files with) on the network to the trusted zone.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks unhappy_viewer for the clarification, however, I did not have to manually add anything to anywhere. Just installed ZA Free on my wireless PC here and ran it out of the box, worked great.. ZA Free knew the router's IP all by itself and set itself up to work fine.

12. vincenzo

I did some research on the ZA forum. Seems with ZA Free, this feature works for some people, not for others.

13. ejr

ejr Registered Member

But are you able to share files, share printers, and the like or are you simply sharing an internet connection?

I have ZA free on my 2 computers that are hooked up via a wireless network. ZA free works, but it blocks a lot of communications that it shouldn't.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just sharing an internet connection here, no file or printer sharing and so on. So I can't speak for any of that.

15. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

For me, ZA free detected my wireless as just a network connection, which I would expect any firewall to do as a bare minimum. Whereas ZA Pro actually clearly identifies it as a wireless connection.

I guess the key benefit of the wireless detection in Pro is if you have your home wireless set as Trusted and have the Trusted slider set to allow for printer/file sharing (or even unrestricted) but then go off and use a wireless hotspot but forget to slide the Trusted security slider back up maximum (which stealth's your PC on your local LAN) then at least the wireless protection in Pro will recognise that the hotpost is a new wireless LAN and by deafult will make it Internet zone rather than Trusted. I haven't put this into practice, but it is my understanding of the wireless detection feature.

16. vincenzo

The ability to recognize new wireless networks and offer to configure them differently was one of the reasons I decided to try ZA free, but I was disappointed that it did not work for me.

Does anyone know of other firewalls, free or not, that have this feature?

Thanks

17. Mem

Mem Registered Member

18. vincenzo

Thanks for that info, but I am looking now for firewalls other than Zonelabs products that would have that feature.

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

This would be my suggestion. ZA Free is a good product, but when you start spending money there are better choices IMHO. Zone Labs has a second Networking protection product too. Makes it easier to set up. It's usefulness and features escape me at the moment. But the costs of all this is just to much from ZoneLabs. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.