Does True Image work with an Intel 82801ER Sata controller?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FORD99, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FORD99

FORD99 Registered Member

Hello,

Ok i had the problem before with my USB reader card needing to be disabled or disconnected to even get the boot disk to work, which still hasnt been fixed yet.

Ok so i guess i can live with having to disable the USB when i need to boot up with the Acronis boot disk but i am really having problems getting the software to really ever fuction smoothly, it is one of the most glitchy i have ever come across and i will explain.

Now like i stated having to disable the USB is fine as i dont have to redo images all that often but when i do i really need to know that i wont have problems. This software sometimes works and sometimes doesnt work. When i make an image of my SATA setup which is 2x80GB Seagate SATA drives in a RAID 0 config it doesnt always work properly. I will make an image file and store it on my seprate Western Digital 80GB HD that is on my regular IDE channel. When i check it under windows to check the image file it always states that it is fine and there are no problems. Although when i boot up into the DOS/ Linux environement with the boot disk and check the image file it always states that it is corrupt. So now when i have needed to reinstall my disk from an image it takes forever to do as it will come back saying the image file is corrupt and then if i have the patience to stay with it long enough all of a sudden it will work and i am up and running again. Is there a way to have this software run mopre smoothly? I mean this SATA controller is an Intel unit and should be fully supported by now as it is after all about 3 years old.

It just feels like i have to except one thing like the USB reader being disabled to get it to boot then i have to try installing my image file when needed about 10 times just to get my system back. Is it possible that you cant support this controller fully?....and if so will you just admit it so i can go and use a software that IS capable of working with this setup please!

My system:
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe MB
    Intel P4 3.2E
    512 MB OCZ 3700 dual channel RAM
    ATI 9800 PRO
    2 x Seagate 80GB Sata HD
    1 WD 80GB IDE HD
    LiteOn 1633S DVD-R/W
    Hauppage 350 PCI PVR

Yes i do overclcok my system and thought this may also play a significant role in my problems and when i downclocked to system spec it runs exactly the same way and didnt solve anything.

So is it possible this softeware can be made to run with my setup?

Thank you

FORD

2. mareke

mareke Registered Member

I have a similar setup to yours (same motherboard and Sata drives) except that I don't use raid and Acronis works perfectly so perhaps the raid is causing the problem. I have a USB external drive and it causes no problems with Acronis. You might try using the latest build with a boot CD made from the latest build to see if it helps.

3. FORD99

FORD99 Registered Member

mareke,

I appreciate the help but yes, YES to everything you have stated, i have tried it. Also i have a 7in1 USB card reader that causes Acronis to flake out when booting up via the boot disk, this is certainly different than just a USB drive, either way it comes down to lack of support and Acronis is going to have to do something because most newer PC's come with these USB/Flash card readers and not everyone will be willing to turn off or disconnect their drives to have Acronis software run, again its a lack of support. Dont get me wrong i am not saying Acronis wont write it into the software to have support but at this point the problems are due to a lack of support for these issues.The problem lies in the coding and configuration of these controllers when used in a RAID configuration.
    You dont experience any problems because you are not using raid as a setup. If i too were to do the same thing it would work as does yours but i suspect that Acronis hasnt fully supported this controller in a RAID config which baffles me as it is an Intel controller and is basically almost 3 years old.
    I hate to admit it but i think that Nortons Ghost would work but i am partial to Acronis simply as i dont feel like paying for another piece of software.

Cheers

Last edited: May 6, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.