Does TOR + HTTPS = 100% Anonymity AND Privacy??

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by KLB5962, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLB5962

KLB5962 Registered Member

Few questions about the VPN option, if I use a VPN:

do i use it with a normal browser like IE?
    can i use javascript in browser and keep my ip hidden?
    what about other plugins? are those protected by VPN too?
    is it basically just like browsing and using the web normally through my browser with no restrictions?
    Also, can i still use Tor? How would that work?
    Would I connect to Tor first with Tor browser, then connect to VPN? I'd prefer using Tor with VPN if possible?

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Yes. A VPN acts as a network-level proxy, so it protects ALL protocols and ALL types of traffic, including javascript, java, flash, etc.

You would initialize the VPN connection first, and then connect to any application-level proxies (such as Tor) next. In other words:
    Code:
    You > VPN > Tor > Remote site

3. KLB5962

Is this similar or same to what Tails from torproject.org does?? https://tails.boum.org/
    if so, would i be ok just using Tails?
    if not, could I use Tails + VPN? Is it even possible to connect to a VPN in Tails? or helpful?

Would this (VPN + Tor Browser) be a good setup for complete Anonymity and Privacy?

or a set up involving Tails + VPN would be better?

Or how about Tails + VPN + Tor Browser? the ultimate set up??

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. guest

guest Guest

As I said, The Pirate Bay has a pretty good record of resiliency. When crackers don't succeed with a "first target", they move to others.

5. Greenworld

Greenworld Registered Member

When in comes to VPN's. How is Btguard?

6. KLB5962

UPDATE: A member of the Tails team says that you can't use a VPN through Tails: https://tails.boum.org/forum/Is_connecting_to_VPN_in_Tails_possible__63__/

But it sounds like they are working on it: https://tails.boum.org/todo/vpn_support/

So I guess we're going to take Tails out then as a possible option for use at this time.

Now I think the best option is: My computer > VPN > Tor > website

What does everyone think of that? Can Tor work after connecting my computer to a VPN? Is it a good set-up for Anonymity AND Privacy? Or is there an even better way?? Perhaps Tor > VPN > Tor ??

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. guest

guest Guest

Exactly what I said in my first post on this thread. lol

Your best bet is a good VPN -> Tor Browser Bundle -> website.

And yes, this works.

8. KLB5962

Well I guess it just proves that you definitely know what you are talking about ;)

OK I have 1 more idea:

How about connecting my computer to a "pay as you go"/"pre-paid" cell phone via wifi tethering and using the phones 3G / 3.5G connection, then through that connect to a VPN then Tor!

So thats: My Computer > Cell Phone 3G connection > VPN > Tor Browser > Website

So this way my broadband IP wouldn't be used and known by the VPN, just the cell phones IP. Would this create any other anonymity/privacy/security risks? or be even more anonymous/Privacy??

oh and i know it would be a lot slower than using broadband but i dont need speed since im only going to be posting text writings on a website page (like a blog page or Facebook page). I wont be dealing with any files or images/vids/multimedia. just text. so the speed should be ok right?

So what do u all think?? could it work? is it better?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. marktor

marktor Registered Member

If you are really looking to chain different services together. You could do this....

Get one VPN service and connect to it using DDWRT on your network router: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index.
    Then get a different VPN service and connect to it from your computer.
    Finally run the tor browser bundle on your computer.

Then you would have: VPN > VPN > Tor > Website :)

There are ways to link even more VPNS in the mix but that would be a more advanced setup. You would probably even through in something like the mentioned Torgate or JanusVM possibly. You would then have 2 different tor network entries.

You would then have: VPN > VPN > Tor Entry> Tor Entry > Website

Once again if you had javascript or other plugins enabled though a website coule possibly see one of your VPN connections IP addresses though and not the Tor IP. Dont know if all of this is something you would even consider doing but just throwing it out there. Also must note I have never personally done the above but I am sure it would work.

10. guest

guest Guest

If you want to browse a site that requires Javascript, you can use the standard Tor Browser Bundle without further tweaking. You will remain anonymous: Torbutton currently mitigates all known anonymity issues with Javascript.

More info (try to read everything, not only one or two snippets):
    https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/torbutton-faq.html.en (slightly outdated)
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3007
    https://blog.torproject.org/blog/im...ing-modes-do-not-track-vs-real-privacy-design

As for chaining different services, I agree with the above post, the more you add, the better "anonymity" you get in the end. But anything beyond "good VPN -> Tor Browser Bundle -> website" seems like an overkill/exaggeration - to me at least, lol.

11. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

what you trying to do hack nsa? lols :ninja:

as above post stated, good vpn , tor bundle , site = profit , everything else is truly overkill and most likely would reduce your net speed to 2kilobytes a sec ,if your lucky xD

12. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Agree it is a bit of overkill but would be highly difficult to track. As I said just throwing the idea out there. Highly doubt it would slow the connection to literally 2kilo. ha. I am sure there would be some latency though.

13. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

yeah some latency , lols , nonetheless nice idea , thou im sure every average hacker uses that route to hack government documents etc ;)

14. Function

Function Registered Member

I am seriously confused here.

If people don't use Tor for security reason, as in they would never use Tor to check their private emails, then what are they using Tor for?

I use the internet for my emails, Youtube and forums. I mostly go on gaming/anime forums as well as Wilders.

I don't do anything wrong/bad when using the net, as in I don't torrent (legal or illegal torrent).

So if there is no need for Tor for everyday use why would someone use Tor?

15. guest

guest Guest

16. KLB5962

Well im new to all this "privacy technology" stuff as well so im not sure what its all for either but my reason for needing to use some sort of technology like Tor is because I want to protect my anonymity when posting articles to sites like blog sites or Facebook. My aim is to start a sort of internet campaign to highlight and support a certain cause, but I want to do this anonymously because i do not want "fame" etc, or to be the target of any attacks of any sort. I have read real horror stories in the news of peoples identities being found out by others who disagree with them and then being attacked, sometimes through the press/online other times attacked in real life! Now I dont really think I would be in that kind of danger if I were to do this campaign publicly, since its not such a "controversial" topic and its something I think most people agree with, but I still would not be comfortable doing it publicly and I just wish to remain anonymous, and i think it should be my right to remain anonymous if I so wish! The cause and how much support it has should be whats important, not the 1 individual who started the page!

I really wish there was somwhere on the internet where people could speak out freely, anonymously and without fear! The UN should declare anonymous free speech a Human Right! and help set-up a system to facilitate that. Think of all the people living under oppressive regimes who cant speak out, and if they did its likely their lives would be in danger! For those people, an anonymous internet free speech system could literally save their lives! Until such as system is put into place, i guess "pivacy technology" is the only way to achieve anonymous free speech on the internet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.