Does the NOD32 Online Scanner use latest definitions?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by truthseeker, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Does the NOD32 Free Online Scanner use latest definitions?

Thanks.

2. dorgane

dorgane Guest

hi,
    yes, you can look version in :
    C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt

3. truthseeker

Ok thanks.

I rather use NOD32 free online scanner once per week than having any AV on my PC taking up RAM and resources.

4. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Until you get a virus that prevents you from getting to the majority of reputable anti virus sites or even cripples your internet connection totally. Then what will you do?

Decent AV such as NOD32 use up hardly any resources.

And you're obviously not bothered if you pick up a Trojan (which you won't know is running without AV) and loose personal details, passwords or even infect others until you do your once a week free scan. That sort of thinking cost one of my customers £3,000 from one bank account and the use of another account for 4 days after picking up a Banker Trojan.

5. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

He probably uses another security approach.It's not a must to have an av installed to be safe.
    And yes Nod is light on most pc,everyone knows and appreciate this.

6. truthseeker

I have used PC's for over a decade and never had a virus. I only download and install a few programs, and they are all from well known and reputable companies and websites. For example, the only things I have installed on Vista is, ccleaner, open office, truecrypt, virtualbox, spybot search & destroy, SpywareBlaster, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, Gimp, Winrar, Keepass, Nokia USB mobile application, COMODO registry Cleaner, Skype, Auslogics defrag, aMSN, HiJackThis, Runscanner, Acronis TrueImage, Eraser, and a few portableapps from portableapps.com, Firefox, Thunderbird.

That is all I have ever installed on my PC.

So as you can see, I avoid any cracks, serials, illegal websites and dodgy websites and I never use IE.

So in over 10 years, I have never been infected with anything.

I also run Ubuntu linux in virtualbox that I use for all my netbanking. And in Ubuntu as you know, its nearly impossible to be infected. But I do run rootkithunter in Ubuntu once per week which checks for snooping, rootkits, etc.

And I run weekly NOD32 and Kaspersky free online scanner and they have never reported me being infected with anything. And when I use Ubuntu for netbanking etc, they all have virtual keyboard to protect against any keyloggers. So even if Vista which is my host had a keylogger, it couldn't pick up my netbanking activity.

However, nothing has reported as me having any keyloggers anyway.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  7. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello,

your disadvantege is that EOS doesn't use Antistealth module, so it can't detect active rootkits.

Regards

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

A computer of ours was last infected in 2004 simply because it had no antivirus . A file infector (virus) destroyed all files. I understood that there was a problem , going after the problem was useless.

I am also very cautious but it will happen once . I have more than once come across legitimate sites that have been hacked and distributed live malware and thanks to NOD32's IMON I was not infected. ESET NOD32 or ESET Smart Security + Windows Defender - barely use any resourses , protection more than fine.

I am sure you could use a condom , it is the same with computers -> Prevention is always better than cure

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The ESET Online Scanner always has the latest virus signature updates.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. truthseeker

Yeah, I do not disagree with your comment when you said, "I have more than once come across legitimate sites that have been hacked and distributed live malware"

That can happen and is a valid point to raise.

But there is a still a problem with AV where it can only detect known virus and malware and won't detect the new virus and new malware that hackers would introduce to hacked websites.

11. truthseeker

That's excellent. And does it pick up rootkits? Kosak said it can't detect active rootkits. Is that true?

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It happens to all AV programs. It's a war zone out there.

13. truthseeker

Yeah true. Btw, where is Tonto? :D

14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It may detect some rootkits, however, not as many as the software would if it were installed normally. Also, other forms of malware which employ stealth mechanisms might remain undetected as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. truthseeker

Yes good and valid point. So I need to always check for rootkits manually which is a pain as I am very lazy :p

NOD32 is a great product I think and deserves to be bought.

16. truthseeker

Ok thanks for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.