Does TDS3 stop certain programs from running?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Phil, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Registered Member

It has come to my attention there is a possibility TDS3 will kill certain other programs if found running -- in particular Filemon and Regmon from Sysinternals. Is this just idle gossip or the truth? If it is true, why? If it *is* true, I have a question to ask in the Wormguard forum because I use those two apps extensivly to trouble shoot problems on my system.

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

Phil

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

This can only happen when TDS3 starts to protect TDS from amateur crackers who try to monitor what TDS is doing at startup to find ways to extend the trial period, etc. You're free to use such tools after TDS has started :) (we use filemon/regmon a fair bit here as well)

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. Phil

Phil Registered Member

ROFL

Saying I am "free" to use something on MY system sounds just a wee bit heavy-handed. You may want to think about saying the same thing a little differently next time. :D

Thanks for the quick response, Wayne. Killing a legit running process may be in a little bit of a gray area but your reasoning is sound. I can now go back to ignoring the gossip.

Off to the Wormgard forum.

Phil

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Killing apps in a controlled manner serves many purposes but are all mainly for the integrity of the program - to protect not just against amateur crackers, but also worms/trojans/malicious software. TDS is not the only program that does this and such defensive tricks have been used by software for a long time :). There's nothing harmful involved and you can easily restart filemon/regmon as soon as TDS has loaded, you just can't have them running during the initialisation (2 seconds) so it's nothing to lose sleep over :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.