Does TDS Wipe out the "HElp and Support" in Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Straight Shooter, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merry Christmas to you, too.. It's just a frustrating thing..

I see your point now about Win XP.. I've had problems with this stupid XP since I got it in February..

I tried to put "helpctr.exe in the allowed lists for Wormguard, but that doesn't work... The only thing to do, is delete the zero file, and then shut down Wormguard.. then Help and Support work..

Anyways, Thanks for your help.. Goodnight..

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thought the other thread's workabout was more user friendly and defenitive?
    I'm not surprised of people having problems with XP, as i remember with the win2000 release were some 65,000 bugs to be fixed and they're still fixing which fixes cause new problems and vulnerabilities, yet it would be one of their most stable products....
    So why would it be any better with XP?
    Maybe they built in all those backdoors for distant bugs fixing or creating :) And we blocking ports and doors with our protecting software block that ability as much as possible, discovering what's happening :)
    Some day your XP will be ok, or you might like to make the system doublebootable with win2000, all drivers for the other hardware available and working fine, etc.......
    By that time we might be happy with many future versions of TDS / WG / PE further.
    So i mean don't worry too much, try to make the best of the system and keep an eye on the interesting finds, i'm sure the DCS developers are interested in that find and will take an extra look at it. they might have suggestions for now how to deal with it till the next TDS-4/WG-4 comes.
    It's over 9 in the morning here, time for running around and christmas breakfast.
    See you back soon!

3. :eek:

Jooske, Man hope you had a merry Christmas..!!

Well, if I install both TDS and Wormguard, do a search on "helpctr.exe", and delete ALL the zero length files, and then restart the system (Shut down and turn on again) then Help and Support work.. I don't think this a standard fix.. The whole thing is PRETTY bizzare. I'm going to clone my HD, just in case...

4. Joosky

Joosky Guest

Hi, i'm calling from another location now, but it's the same Jooske.
    Hope all have a nice christmas time now.

Good you found this temporary work-around, but i'm sure all will be solved soon!
    I'm sure nothing is lost, only an extra difficulty unfortunately...

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Straight Shooter,

I think I found an easier workaround.
    I did a search for helpctr.exe and found three legit entries, two 0 bytes files and two prefetch files. When I double-click the normal entry in C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries the normal Help and Support screen comes up. Hope this works for you too.

Regards,

Pieter

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Pieter/StraightShooter

I suppose if that works one could simply Ctrl/Drag that icon onto the desktop to create a shortcut and maintain its funtion to the Help Centre in XP.

I knew there was a workaround for this, but could not find it. It had originally been posted by Gavin I think somewhere about creating a new shortcut from somewhere or other. This might be it.

Cheers, Tas

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did you see the new cumulative IE patch (071) is changing the helpfile functionallity (among others)? As IE is so much mixed with windows, it might make changes, hope wanted changes, anyway worth trying or maybe causing even more problems for XP users, don't know without trying (and not running XP myself, can't tell.......)

8. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi

No it did not help, at least for me.
    Still using the shortcut for Help and Support. :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.