Does Runscanner show any Keylogger etc?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by truthseeker, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

When I run a program called RunScanner, it shows all running process.

If I was infected with a keylogger etc, would it show up on RunScanner?

2. RunScanner

RunScanner Registered Member

Most likely yes, except if it was an undetectable rootkit

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No offence intended ( I like RS :) )
    Ow: heh : my brain hurts >> is that a logic bomb or just an inverted tautology ;)

On a more serious note: I had thought that RS was good at ferreting out hidden processes ??

4. truthseeker

So "undetectable rootkits" dont run in RAM? If not, then how can they do anything if they aren't running in memory?

5. truthseeker

Whats RS?

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I guess RunScanner.:)

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

They are running in RAM. The typical scenario: the information provided to you by the OS (say via Task Manager) has been filtered by the rootkit to eliminate references it itself.

Blue

8. truthseeker

Yeah, i thought that too, but the way he used RS in that context sounded like he was disagreeing with RunScanner.

9. truthseeker

can you please elaborate? Do you mean if I run RunScanner, it won't show as it somehow has made itself "invisible" in RAM?

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

First of all, take the time to read and understand what I wrote instead of popping off a few one liner questions without first digging deeper yourself.

My response was to your comment on "undetectable rootkits", not Runscanner. You had initially asked:
    The initial response given was
    Which is a correct answer. If you are infected with a keylogger and said keylogger is a part of an "undetectable rootkit", RunScanner may not be able to provide a completely reliable reading of the processes running on your system. Rootkits hook into the OS system calls and will typically filter out self referential information. In a nutshell, that's how they hide.

Think of it this way - consider a simple operation, say a directory listing. Getting that directory listing generally involves calling the OS and information is passed back to you from the OS. If a process is inserted between you and the base OS, it can filter/alter the information that is provided back to you. Clear enough?

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.