DOES RETURNIL NEED LARGER PARTITIONS?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cortez, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I noticed a large jump in gigabytes used after installing Returnil Premium.

At first I was wondering where all the extra gigs came from, and downloaded and used Disk Detective (free ware) to answered the question:

disk detective returnil numbers.JPG

Does this seem normal?

EDIT: This is how the partition looks like even though Returnil is not turned on.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

This is how Returnil looks with protection on:

Retunil on.JPG

The virtual partition is not mounted. It is essentially the same as when it is off.

3. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

As far as I can tell, Returnil makes a file/ files on your hard disk if you opt to use the disk caching method and turn on the virtual partition. You can set the file sizes on installation depending upon your preference ergo Returnil will still work on old 40gig HDs.

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I found this as well. On installation if you choose disc caching Returnil seem to work out how much space you can allocate to it and pre-populates the size field (which you can amend). It then creates the virtual partition (Z: in my case).

If it's the same as mine you will find in a hidden folder on the C: (or whatwver your system partition is) folder called Returnil. It will have 2 files in it both the same size as your virtual partition. In other words it if you set your virtual partition to be 10G it will use up 30G disc space.

It all depends what size of files you want to save to the vitual drive how big it needs to be but I found going through the install process again and reducing the size of the virual cache it reduced the disc space taken up by Returnil . Mainly because the 2 files in the hidden folder reduced by the same amount. I did hear someone say they had to uninstall and reinstall to get this to work.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Do you use the virtual partition to store your data files or has it another purpose ?

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think you have to allocate a realistic amount of space that you think you will need. I will probably only rarely need it so I allocated 700MBs. I think 2 GB was recommended by someone in a thread a while ago, but there's no way I would need that. Of course if you have RVS on all the time, you may need a few GBs.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I allocate 35 Gigs to disk cache and to my virtual drive. By doing this it ensures my computer can stay with Returnil on for extended periods of time.... You can not save to your virtual drive but while in it, you can commit or save changes to your C: drive. The larger the virtual drive the less chance you have of running into a brick wall. When you install it, it will tell you how big you computer will allow your virtual drive to be.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

When i install Returnil, i don't use virtual drive. As for the disk cache , Returnil has as default 5 GB, so i keep that...

9. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    The best rule of thumb is to give yourself at least twice the space you think you will need for the files, folders, and data plus a preferred amount of slack just in case.

The 2.01 Beta includes a cache space available feature (Hold the CNTRL key down and then right click the tray icon). This should give you a leg up on refining the size of your cache...

Mike

10. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I don't have a lot of memory so use the virtual partition in case I want to save larger files that I may or may not decide to commit to the 'real' drive later. I only allocate 1 GB to it though.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

You Guys never heard of storing content not owned by Returnil to a second partition or another disk,i do it all the time ! :D

12. ErikAlbert

OK. Thanks. I was just wondering, nothing more than that. So you use the virtual partition as a temporarily storage in order to have the possibility of storing a large file, because your memory is too small.
    When you decide to keep you move it to your real drive.

13. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Basically that's it. Might not make a lot of sense to most but I'm happier to have the temporary storage rather than committing to my data partition as a first option. Basically because the data partition is not protected by Returnil. Before I reboot I decide if I want to keep it or just start again.

Hopefully that answers Huupi's question also. Not really expecting anyone to agree, just my current preference. May well change as I get used to the product.

14. ErikAlbert

Your way of working is close to mine, we use different softwares (you Returnil and me FDISR), that's all and I also have a separate data partition. Thanks.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  15. cortez

cortez Registered Member

This seem to be a number that will allow for optimal usage in the size of my testing partition so I will keep my 5 gig plus Returnil cache as it now stands.

At least now I know this is a normal default and have learned more about Returnil's cache and how to manage it ( the "beta" is very compatible with my many other applications so far and I am pleased with it ).

16. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

I have a 4GB disk cache and skip the VP when install it, so far, the new beta works well here.

17. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

With the cheap new big hard drives ($49 for 200 gigs on sale) now available, a 5 gig cache on a testing partition should be easy now-a-days.

I could easy see many testing partitions with a 200 gig drive--let's say 4 to 7 partitions easy--plus the main OS. Acronis can do this easily-- TI & DD.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi! Sorry for OT. Any link to this disk detective freeware?

Thanks

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hello, a bit OT but I want to ask which one is preferable- memory caache or disk cacahe? I think memory cache is default, am I true?

I put the free version for a friend with memory cache. He hs XP with 256 MB ram only. Will it cause any troubles?

Thanks

20. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

I have a XP SP3 with 256 MB RAM, the memory cache works smoothly for a long time. I changed to disk cache when I have the GWOTD version.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks QQ2595. :)

22. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I had to look it up amongst many sites that now want to charge for it .

This link should download the free ware as it should be:

http://www.disktective.com/download

It is easily extracted from its zip form and easy to configure; from here you can check out their main info page ( perhaps you will want to download the manual also).

I think it is a good free ware utility and I hope you will find it as useful as I do.

EDIT:Sorry for the typo for the software as it is "disktective" and not "disk detective"

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot. I will have a look.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Strange while the software is still free on its home page.:rolleyes:

25. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Some say it is "entrepreneurial", I say it is thievery pure and simple.

Off topic Edit: the definition most often used on google is "entrepenureal" but the resident spell checker suggests "entrepreneurial"; I am assuming it is a variant spelling.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.