Does regdefend overlap KIS praoctive defence

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by BrainWarp, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Just curious if regdefend overlaped KIS 6.0 proactive defense?Was thinking on running the 2 together ,but figured it was an overkill and may cause some issues.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

just disable the Registry Guard of proactive defense and youd be all set.

3. BrainWarp

Well i guess what i should ask is one better than the other?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think RegDefend might be the better of the two, but id try each one and see one you like more.

5. tayres

tayres Guest

RegDefend using the Tony.gsr ruleset has about 285 rules. KAV's Registry Guard has about 87 default rules (I'm assuming that Registry Guard protects the same keys in both KAV and KIS).

I can't verify this because I'm not running KAV or GSS right now, but I believe most all of the the keys covered in Registry Guard are included in RegDefend.

In addition, RegDefend has a few more options for configuring rules/alerts than Registry Guard.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

In a sense it is not useful to look at the number of rules each covers because the use of wildcards ensures that one rule could cover an enormous number of positions not dealt with by the other app.

Both progs are configurable so that you can have whatever rules you wish. Actually RD is much easier to configure than KAV; it's very difficult to develop specific app rules in KAV and also it seems to be impossible to create rules with wildcards in KAV (other than relying on the default ones) because you must navigate to the Key in question in order to enter it - this sometimes necessitates creating Keys in Regedit in order to create rules, which is a PITA.

The Tony Rules for RD are generally far more wide ranging than the default Rules for KAV, giving far greater Registry coverage, however, despite this, the KAV set does contain several rules omitted from the Tony set. You can run both the Reg protection of KAV and RD together if you wish - there should be no conflict. As to whether that is unnecessary or overkill will be for you to decide.

7. BrainWarp

I am using both not with no problems so far.Thx for advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.