Does Process Guard protect my server?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nameless, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I run the Apache HTTP server on my WinXP system, and I am also running Process Guard 1.200. I have apache.exe in PG's list, with all the default "block" items selected--including "write". Does this necessarily protect Apache against a potential future buffer overrun attack?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Excellent question!

Will it protect IIS?

Will it protect "Office"-like programs?

Windows2000 Server? (Or whatever it is).

I wondering about all that stuff tonight at work myself - I just don't have the knowledge to know whether PG would help any of those kinds of programs or not.

Anyone? Pete

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

No, buffer overflow attacks usually occur from within the process, ie, it is caused by a bug in Apache allowing the overflow to occur. Process Guard allows a process it protects to do anything it likes to itself.

The only thing which can protect against overflows currently is an AMD Athlon 64/Opteron CPU combined with Windows XP SP2 (currently in BETA but it is available). It is a hardware/operating system issue that cannot be fixed in software without making your system unresponsive.

-Jason-

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Process Guard protects applications from attack by other processes (ie Malware), so yes, it can protect any application you like.

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.