Does Norton AntiVirus 2009 use a Proxy Tunnel like NOD32 and some other AV Pgms ??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JosephB, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shanep

shanep AV Expert

Hi acr1965,

N360v2 is older than NIS/NAV 2009 and hence it doesn't have all the performance enhancement we put in for the 2009 product. While they share the same scanning engines, there are a lot of enhancement in NIS/NAV2009 outside of the scanning engine that improve performance in scanning.. I dont know if that made sense. Ofcourse all those improvements will be in N360v3 (whenever thats out).

Yes.

Sorry.. no idea.

We spent a lot of time optimizing the webpage processing in NIS/NAV 2009. Hopefully you wont see those issues any more. If there are specific pages where you notice a slowdown, let us know and we can have the performance team specifically test with those.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the info

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

shane what about all the update issues we are seeing now with failed updates? i am having this problem on almost every pc its installed on. sometimes its the web part that fails and other times its the virus def's that fail. i did use the patch or "reset" tool from the norton forum and it helped but only the FIRST time i ran it. after i ran it updates worked fine. now i get failed again about 5-7 times then it MAY work than fails again. pulse updates "seem" to be okay or it says they are but if i run the manual update ot the regular updates they fail most of the time. this has been happening for the last 4-5 days for me. thanks for any help

4. shanep

shanep AV Expert

Hi ZFactor,

Can you post a link to the Norton Forums thread so I have something for reference.

Thanks,

Shane.

5. zfactor

will do when i get back to that computer.

also i am liking the new chrome as well as the newest version of ff3.1 both are much faster than ff3 or ie. but it seem neither one can use the norton tool bar. will this hinder the http scanning of nis2009? so i mean if i use google's chrome without the tool installed will i essentially loose the http scanning? i for sure think you guys should expand on that to wor in opera and the new chrome as well as both are alreay very popular..

thanks

6. shanep

shanep AV Expert

The HTTP Network Scanning for vulnerabilities and other baddies will still work. It will work irrespective of the application. The Anti-Phishing feature is only IE and Firefox specific.

7. zfactor

anti phising doesnt seem to work in firefox 3.1 though. works fine in 3.0

8. icr

icr Registered Member

Hi shanep just one question my norton safe web isn't working is it only compatible for one 16.0.125 version only

Attached Files:

9. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

You have NAV or NIS?

10. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

He has NIS look in his signature ;)

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I have posted on this here many times and at Symantec, and the issue still is unresolved. Updates do not occur if the computer has been off, you have to manually update, and then it works until the next day after shut off. I like the program and as a beta tester last summer, I was one of the first in this forum to give NIS 2009 a big :thumb: The problem is now even with the latest build, updates are not automatic. I cannot (will not) use a program that cannot update itself.

I never had an update problem like this with any other AV.

12. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

@shanep

Are all those "5 engines" fully compatible with Firefox 3?

Edit: Please let us know a valid reason for removal of Banner Blocker form the addon pack.

13. TechOutsider

All the Norton products route internet traffic through a proxy if you have the parental control add-on installed.

14. shanep

shanep AV Expert

Actually, even with the Add-on pack installed, only HTTP traffic is routed through the proxy. All other traffic e.g. gaming traffic if its not on 80, 8080 etc, it will not go through the proxy.

Thanks,

Shane.

15. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Regarding Norton Safe Web:

- Norton Safe Web requires Norton Internet Security 2009 English and has been optimized for U.S. users. If you have installed a non-English version of Norton Internet Security 2009, Norton Safe Web functionality will not be available.

- The Norton Safe Web plug-in works with Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 2, and Firefox 3.

http://safeweb.norton.com/beta/download

16. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Great explanations shanep. Will nav 2009 work with comodo firewall. Sorry ot

17. TechOutsider

Yes. Experiment a little; you may have to disable "Intrusion Prevention".

Yes because no one complained about NAV and Comodo at the Norton forums, ever since NAV09's launch.

You may have to Disable Intrusion Prevention because it functions similar to a firewall.

18. david banner

david banner Registered Member

good to see nav getting some positive notice. i always liked it and could not understand all the trouble people had with it though i do accept they had

19. shanep

shanep AV Expert

The Intrusion Prevention in NAV 2009 doesn't have any functionality related to a firewall. It did contain FW functionality in older version of NAV, but in 2009 allthe firewall functionality was stripped out to facilitate better compatibility with other firewalls. Now you can use NAV 2009 and your favorite firewall if you so choose. Unfortunately I don't know if NAV2009 works with Comodo per se.

The IPS as I described earlier is meant to protect your machine against buffer-overflows and vulnerabilities in general. There are thousands of IPS vulnerability signatures http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/attacksignatures/index.jsp. If you disable this feature you are losing out on a large chunk of protection. I wouldn't recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.