Does KAV 4.5 have extended database?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Overkill, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Guest

Does KAV 4.5 have extended database?

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, if you manually add this:
    To every serveraddress.:)

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

What about these update URL:s?

downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com/updates_x

Before they were those paranoid ones!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. Overkill

Overkill Guest

I´ve just installed the scanner and the updater, `cause I´ll use NOD32 as on-acess protection...

Where can I find the server list, so I can add downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com/updates_ext

5. Overkill

Overkill Guest

Ok, have just found it! Thanks!

6. Overkill

Overkill Guest

Sorry, but only two question: Is KAV 4.5 affected by that CAB vunerability? ANd is de detection rate of kav 4.5 the same of 5?

Thanks again!

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

No.
    Not much in it. But KAV 5 has apparently more support for archive unpacking and better detection of stealth trojans. Further, cleaning/repair abilities are again supposed to be better.

BUT a test here suggests that KAV 4.5 may have slightly higher detection rates.

But I have never seen an official Kaspersky response to this question despite several threads on different forums on this topic.

Maybe Don knows more? ;)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I wouldn't think KAV 5 has better archive unpacking than 4.5.....maybe it has a "faster" or "optimised" unpack engine as compared to KAV 4.5.....But I also have heard quite a bit floating around the net of KAV 5 being better at cleaning/removal of malware :doubt:

9. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

All the unpackers are in KAV's bases. You can see this with a little Googling, find a link to a list of a daily update -- they are continually adding new unpacker formats, again, by putting these in the bases. So I think the argument about one version of KAV having better unpackers is rather bogus, because the unpackers are contained in the bases, and all versions of KAV use the same bases .. IMHO. ;)

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But despite placing all the unpackers in the bases, surprisingly the engine, according to Schouw is different, in versions 4,5 and 6.

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO The changes would more likely be in the speed of the program, the hooks into the OS (if thats what is called :doubt:) and the language support and possibly better detection (or unpackingo_O) of unknown packers.......

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The program architecture will be different for each version of the product, presumably to help with speed, memory hooks and so on, but the databases are the same irrespective of which version you use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.