Does it make sense to use a USB to keep "system rescue" programs?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Wallaby, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wallaby

Wallaby Registered Member

The question should be: what is the way to make useful to keep on a USB some "system rescue" programs (like Hiren's BootCD or keeping Kaspersky rescue disk or similar ones on a USB)

If the system is infected, the USB gets infected when it is inserted in the PC

So what is the solution?

Using USB with those "physical" locks that prevent writing on them?

Using hidden partitions (like I have read in some other Boards)?
    Does malware infect a USB if I insert it when booting, so that the PC boots from the USB? Or is it too soon?

In a few words, is it a wrong idea using a USB and the only way out is writing the rescue programs on a CD?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Just set permissions to deny write access to the usb. There's a nice guide here.

3. Wallaby

Wallaby Registered Member

Yes I know that topic, :thumb: but it doesn't work with FAT32 formatted USB, and Hiren'sBootCD or "other" creators of similar tools say (I don't know why) to format in FAT32

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I keep Rescue Tools both in USBs and CDs...:cool:
    It's not a big deal...:cool:

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i have multiple boot disks (including hirens) on my ntfs usb stick.

just format your usb with the ntfs filesystem and use yumi to add whatever boot disks you want.

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I do too. I have a couple of bootable USB Flash Drives (made with YUMI) and I update them at least twice a month. I also keep a bootable DVD (made with Xboot). I have at least four AV Rescue CD's (Kaspersky, Dr.Web, Avira and Bitdefender). On my USB Flash Drives, I also have many Linux Distros along with Terabyte's Image for Linux, Image for DOS and BootIt BareMetal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.