Does Comodo Firewall Still Have 1000 POP-UPS?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was debating on giving Comodo Firewall another shot. I've tried Comodo a couple times in the past, and uninstalled it because the popups drove me nuts! Does Comodo have better white listing now or some other means of eliminating a lot of the popups? I felt like it was asking me to allow or deny a lot of things that it should have already known to allow. My computer knowledge is above average, but i found myself doing alot of googling processes. I don't want to turn off D+ because i want leak protection, and antimalware protection of a HIPS. I'm a huge Online Armor user, and i've been using HIPS since the first version of DiamondCS ProcessGuard. Online Armor is not a choice for me since 64bit is still in beta, and i don't want to use beta on this machine. So for those of you that have used Comodo recently; what was your experiences with the firewall using D+? Do you believe there are still too many unnecessary popups?

2. burebista

burebista Registered Member

I'm a CIS user since it was only a firewall (v2.x). I'm using it at home (Seven x64) and at work (XP x32 SP3).
    If we're speak about v4.x my opinion is that with Sandbox you have less popups (it's a lot of debate about CIS Sandbox effectiveness but for me is OK, it's not intended to work as SandboxIE) .
    Usually if your computer is clean you can leave it in Training mode for a couple of hours of daily usage and you'll get rid off most popups.
    Anyway after a initial Training period (if you don't like to leave it in Training mode then you must allow some popups) CIS doesn't bother me with unnecessary or annoying popups.

Now I have installed CIS 5 Beta 2. At home and at work. For me is perfect stable and it has some nice new features. Again, after a couple of hours of daily usage until he knows what I'm running it doesn't bother me with unnecessary messages.
    It's a classical HIPS though so you have to answer at some popups. :)

Bottom line I'd say to give v5 Beta 2 a chance or if you don't like beta in production machines try latest 4.1 stable.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

:argh: :argh: :argh: Are you kidding :D :D :D Well when you don't want to use a beta, wait until 5.1 is released. Every Comodo X.0 release is what others companies should call a release candidate.

Before I get flaming reactions of Comodo fans, what about this:
    a) Changed final status Comodo Cloud scanner back to beta
    b) Retracted Comodo Dragon 4.1
    c) Examplary MBR trashes of Comodo Time Machine
    d) Comodo DiskShield Beta

On the other hand it is free, and a Dutch saying "Never look a given horse in the mouth", so lets do the same for the dragon :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. gery

gery Registered Member

v4 is not as the previous versions. I can tell the difference in terms of popups as i have been using Comodo FW AV since early releases. It is a different story i guess. So give it a try and you will see for yourself:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :thumb:

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I couldn't agree more with it! :thumb:

6. burebista

I don't see CIS in those a-b-c-d examples so is safe to presume that CIS is OK? :argh:

7. Kees1958

8. burebista

Yep, it's on purpose. I'm looking for troubles. :p
    But fortunately nor CTM nor CIS gave me (major) problems.

BTW I can browse on Online Armor or Outpost or whatever and find a lot of BSOD's posts too. ;)

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Actually you shouldn't get flamed for that,you make a perfectly reasonable point.There's a tendency to rush things out too early that I'm at a loss to understand.A few weeks delay to iron out stray bugs wouldn't hurt at all.

I said you shouldn't be flamed for that,it can't be guaranteed though.:p

10. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

This from a man who rides an orange (yuk) motorbike! :argh:

No you shouldn't get flamed even though you are inviting it lol

You can point to problem reports with CIS but I was so put off Avast 5 when I looked at page after page of problems when it was first released. Sometimes you have to ignore opinion and try things foer yourself. I know you do so that comment isn't especially for you.

Personally speaking, I had never tried any Comodo products until recently because there was so much anti-Comodo feeling on this forum that I thought it was not worth my time even looking. I have licenses for several products and have never felt totally at ease with any of them and I was spending my whole life installing, configuring and uninstalling all the products that get mentioned here and I was never happy. I have finally tried CIS 4.1 and boy am I happy. I actually do some work now instead of playing around with my security settings. I haven't even bothered yet to join Comodo forum as my system is just working fine. I haven't yet tried CIS 5 but I can't wait for people to report that it's stable and then I'll be giving it a shot.

By the way, how was the World Cup for you? Better than for me ... England were terrible!

Cheers one and all.

11. guest

guest Guest

Google close many projects every year and still is a top company, recently the have close google wave pe...
    Gmail was a beta for many time, and it was stable and the main email for many people, now is one of the most used in the world.
    If Comodo want to try differents directions is a good thing not bad.

And about the poups on cis, I am using the beta 2 and I had some poups after the first reboot and after that 2 days without a single popup.

12. Kees1958

Off Topic: Laverda factory colour is orange. It is a one-off prototype (the only 1000SF in the world), 26 years old it had upside down (front) and single (rear) suspencion, four pads double brakes. Innovations which other brands had decades after.

I also have a red one a Ducatie Monster 1076 cc's (that is the one I used on Sunday evening summer competition, it has race pistons and belly exhoust). Due to my rugby accident (yes I am to old), I have promised my wife to stop racing, so it is on sale: with Decibel-killer it has 105 BHP and 125 Nm on rear wheel. Outperforms ZX-10 on the track due to its handling and bottom power (without DB-killer that is). It has lot's of mods and trickbits, so it never left the beta-stage :D

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

At least Googles' concoctions:

A: If Beta, work like a Beta and not an Alpha.

B: Don't destroy things said concoctions were created to protect.

As far as pop-ups, anymore, CIS won't bother you about new events, it's too busy asking you to answer allow/deny to the same pop-ups you already answered multiple times and told it to remember.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

It seems like i'm getting a lot of mixed views with Comodo. DW426 is saying it does not remember settings such as telling it to remember to allow or deny something. I hope this is not the case because that would definitely add to the popups. It does sound like Comodo has gotten much better than when i tried it. I believe i will wait until v5 is complete, and give it a try. I'm amazed there is a v5 beta. I have to say Comodo doesn't waste no time with advancing their technology, but like andyman said i would much rather delay releasing a build to make sure all the bugs are ironed out. I know all bugs want be found until it is released to the public, but i feel a lot of companies rush things. I'm speaking about my experiences with several other security software companies. On the other hand i have software that i wish would make much faster progress such as Eset lol .... but thats another story.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh they don't waste time at all, that's why the public keeps getting half-done software handed to them. Comodo is all over the place for people, some swear by it, some swear at it. Unlike the fanboys or the haters, I neither defend it from all criticism nor do I find anything and everything I can wrong with it as often as possible to rant about. I go by my own experience with, my friends experiences, and, of course, reviews here and elsewhere. I find CIS to be one of the biggest pain in the arse pieces of software I've ever tried. Every release anymore is the same old BS problems. That does not however mean it isn't the best thing since sliced bread on someone elses' system.

16. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Great bikes Kees :thumb: :cool:

17. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I thought this thread was about the Comodo Firewall, NOT CIS which is an AV + Firewall + Defense plus + Sandbox package.

I have run Comodo Firewall Pro with Defense + version 3.0.25.378 for yonks and it performs impeccably. No other Firewall could possibly beat it. Not going to argue this point - it is V.GOOD and I am a committed fan.

Firewall Pop-ups ? There are NONE. I think I have had only ONE ever since installation.

Defense + ? If the Security Policies under "Advanced" and the Defense + Settings are not configured properly = millions of Pop-ups. But that is not Comodo`s fault, it is the users. Get these features properly categorised and there is no problem. I use "Safe Mode".

Under normal operation, Defense + only shoots a Pop-up on screen when some program is trying to contravene the Security policies. Fair enough, that is why there is a Defense + in the first place and YOU make the policies.

When updating, installing a new program or generally fiddling around and you know what you are doing, switch to "Installer & Updater" mode or even disable Defense + until you have finished and then enable it again. If after you don`t like the "Installer & Updater" status given to the program files, go to the Security listing and change it.

I find it so simple, I still have a good head of hair, the dog still loves me and my wife is not filing or a divorce.

If you don`t like the security and possibly "nuisance" value of Defense +, why have it ? It is not forced upon you, just have Comodo`s excellent Firewall. Personally I feel happier with Defense + and will not dump it by choice.

To repeat - I do not see why CIS is being mentioned here - it is not purely a Firewall. Anyway, I use another AV program and see no us for Comodo`s, hence just the Firewall.

John B

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Um, John, lol, there wouldn't be any pop-ups hardly if it wasn't for Comodo's firewall and D+. Without the firewall there wouldn't even be a CIS, so yes, it is relevant to the discussion. The firewall in CIS acts just the same as it does alone

19. John Bull

@dw426

Of course the Firewall in CIS performs the same as Firewall Pro - it is the same.
    I suppose my comments on CIS are perhaps cosmetic, but the rest of my comments are not.

So, I apologise for being pedantic with a petty detail, just drop the CIS bit and consider the Firewall and Defense + before the whole thread disappears up the wrong track.

My comments about security classification, settings and Pop-ups are real and it is NOT the Firewall sending out Pop-ups, it is Defense +.

John B
    SMILEY LAUGH.gif

20. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Just tried the latest Comodo Firewall about a month ago to see if it was as aggressive as before.

I did a clean install of all features except the AV and used Revo uninstaller to remove my other firewall Online Armor Free.

As the first reboot my system (Windows 7) froze, I waiting for several minutes then it finally booted up.

After my system was done with the boot process, my wireless keyboard and wireless mouse (HP) would not work because they were automatically blocked by the sandbox. Since I had no working mouse or keyboard, I had to shut down with my power button. When I rebooted, Windows went into repair mode and fixed the problem by removing Comodo's boot drivers.

Because the answer to the question does Comodo Firewall still have as many popups? No it doesn't have as many as before because now it just automatically blocks important processes that your system needs.

So I uninstalled Comodo and went back to Online Armor since it has never interfered with my wireless devices.

Comodo still needs some work done on the sandbox to make it not block important drivers to wireless devices.

Thanks.:)

21. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You always had to reboot twice after installing Comodo or it would sandbox various processes even though you switched off "automatically sandbox unknown processes". They've removed that option in the v5 beta so that's no longer an issue.

22. John Bull

This thread is about the Pop-ups with Comodo Firewall behaviour and presumably Defense + which is optional. All the other inclusions of CIS are irrelevant - the AV and sandbox. Pop-ups are almost 100% exclusive to Defense +.

If you don`t like the complexity of configuring Defense +, don`t install it.
    I do not want Comodo AV or their sandbox, I prefer another AV and have Sandboxie. Defense + ? Take it or leave it. If it too messy for speedy and uninterrupted activity - don`t install it.

John B

23. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

The Comodo Firewall (no AV, D+, Sandbox) will only ask if you'll allow/deny an application would create an outbound connection, which is fair enough.

With Defense+, it will generate lots of popups.

Wtih Defense+ and Sandbox, it will generate a little less popups than with Defense+ alone, however there might be compatibility problems with your applications (since I believe the Sandboxing is a new feature)

Other than that, if you weren't able to answer an alert for 120 seconds (this is default and you may change this duration), it's default deny.

You'll also have less popups if you tick the "Trust the applications digitally signed by Trusted Software Vendors" and "Create rules for safe applications" on the Defense+ settings, though this may not be the best practice.

Anyway, you don't have to trust my word for it, as this is my personal experience with the product, I've had problems with the other versions of Comodo Firewall, but I'm generally good with v4.1.

PS: popups wise, I think you'll be better off with Online Armour, as it has this wizard for detecting your apps which allows you to whitelist them.

24. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I don't need a lecture Mr Threadcop. :rolleyes: If you install the firewall you get D+ and the Sandbox and I didn't mention the AV so my comments are on topic. My post was directed to littlebox who had the problem of his processes being auto-sandboxed in a previous version.

25. John Bull

Threadcop calling Coffee.

No my dear friend, you DO NOT get Defense + or the Sandbox when you install the Firewall, it is optional on Wizard selection. Neither of them are anything to do with the Firewall. I chose to have Defense + but could have dumped it on installation. If people keep insisting on talking about the complete box of tricks that constitute CIS-v4 and not just the Firewall behaviour, then I will leave the matter to their full attention and spend my time elsewhere.

I could not care less about CIS-v4, my PC has only the Comodo Firewall Pro on it with Defense +. I installed CIS-v4 5 times and every time the Firewall failed after a few minutes. I will never touch CIS-v4 again, there are better options on the market than something that fails on installation or gives trouble. The Comodo team were told about this problem, acknowledged my post and said they would come back to me. They never did.

The Update for Comodo Firewall Pro is no longer, it has been replaced by a panel telling me that there is a new version of Comodo available called - Guess what ? Yes ! CIS-v4 ! So I cannot even update my Firewall without downloading their box of assorted unwanted goodies to replace it. I will probably soon dump Comodo for a more user friendly combination.

This thread started out complaining about annoying Pop-ups rather misleadingly nominating the Firewall as the offender, when it is Defense + that bombards us with Pop-ups. I think this matter has been more than adequately covered and explained.

Lecture ? Anytime pal, it always gives me the greatest of pleasure to please.

John B

PS - Why not forget Comodo with their troublesome Defense +, their unwanted sandbox and compulsory AV system ? Go for the superb Online Armour Firewall and Sandboxie. No more Pop-ups or making a career of getting Defense + to behave, just hitting upon a great defense combination, that will not let you down or drive you nuts. You can even choose your own AV program to tag along. That way you get a superb security set-up and can update each component individually.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.