Does Click & Clean miss anything?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Magic Missile, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Magic Missile

Magic Missile Registered Member

Just looking to nuke history, cookies, LSO, and everything else so that nothing remains intact other than my installed extensions (Blur, uBLock Origin, UBlock Origin Extra), bookmarks, and settings for the next time I open Chrome. Does Click & Clean get it all, or is there some new type of supercookie out there that a different tool can take care of? Is there a Click & Clean equivalent for MS Edge? I've been forced to use it for random sites lately, so I'd love an easy way to automatically torch its history and so forth, too.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

firefox does all this automatically within its settings so i see no reason to use this extension.

3. Magic Missile

Magic Missile Registered Member

So Firefox's default abilities can remove everything, those settings won't miss anything? Edge seems to have good settings to purge everything, does it have any gaps? Chrome seems to not be able to do what I seek out of the box though, it has one vague setting that minimally doesn't include history. Is Click & Clean sufficient for any gaps left in Chrome's default purging abilities?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. TomeiNingen

TomeiNingen Registered Member

Honestly, it's kind of silly to fret over browser privacy while using Windows 10 (IMO). The OS itself is thoroughly compromised from a privacy and security standpoint. I do agree with @The Red Moon's comment regarding FF though.

Now, if you're just trying to obscure browsing history from a relative then you probably don't need to worry about using Windows but if you're like me and are interested in sincere privacy then you'll want to look to some alternatives altogether.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Chrome (and Chromium ) has one option that can be set using Group Policy template: disable saving history (although I use Sandboxie for that purpose).
    upload_2016-12-28_17-12-53.png

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

If you are using Win then why not Sandbox all browser activities? Sandboxie will absolutely and for sure delete everything in the sandbox when you close the browser (assuming you tell it to in your configurations). You can setup a Desktop icon (Firefox as an example but any will do) to click on and FF will open only in a sandbox. Anything that happens stays in there and when you close the browser its all gone, and its done automatically and for sure by Sandboxie. You can establish a quarantine spot to save a file or such if wanted. Then you scan the quarantine for "cooties" and if you determine its safe you release the file into the machine. Its that easy and its an amazingly safe tool to use. I have used Sandboxie for many years on any Windows machines. I have a lifetime license.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.