Does Avira do anything badly?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hutchingsp, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

As subject really, I've been doing a lot of reading and digging and other than what appear to be isolated incidents, I'm struggling to come up with any consistent failing of Avira.

I'm looking specifically at the Pro and Server products so really "pure" antivirus and spyware, no interest in firewalls, anti-spam etc.

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I've read posts about Avira not being able to delete or quarantine malware that it finds, but I haven't experienced that problem.

Overall, no issues of any consequence for me with the free or paid antivirus or the security suite. Avira just offers a great antivirus application and continues to improve it. :thumb:

The nag screen in the free version can be deactivated, but it doesn't bother me.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lol, lots.

but dont expect to hear much on 'this forum' about it, :rolleyes:

an easy way to put it would be, Avira cut corners, hit the headlines and make everyone believe their product is better than it is, in short... not a reliable antivirus.

Avira do their marketing very well, and hats off to them for that i suppose, as they are a business and in it to make money for sure.

eset are another company who use bad habits to create 'protection', although its not nearly as bad as Avira do.

but people dont dig or feel they need to when purchasing an antivirus, they see the 99% detection, awards posted on their website and a status that says clean and go on with their daily lives, this is the way it is, and certainly how Avira see it aswell, promote the pro's and hide the con's.

:thumbd:

this WILL be my first and last post in this thread, as history tells me this could turn into a long argumentative thread.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avira is good at detecting, crappy at protecting.

5. Juha L

Juha L Registered Member

Avira has so far protected me perfectly. No complaints. It just works and does it job, so I have no need to replace it.

6. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Like somewhat mentioned above, I often read that Avira is good at keeping a clean system clean. But it seems not so good in cleaning-up an already infected system.

As far as pure detection goes, well they are very good at that.

7. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

How can you slag off Avira,without giving any specific details,and then say this is my last post on the subject ? Surely all AV programs have limtations. I have used Nod,Norton,AVG,Avast and Avira, and like Avira most.I am only a novice, 95% + are.Does Drweb even have a help forum.

8. gery

gery Registered Member

Please CSJ answer to this poster doing everyone a favor to getting to know better Avira

9. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Any examples of this, or are we to simply take your word for it?

10. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Not sure why you even posted in this thread as you've proven over and over to provide no useful info regarding what the OP was looking for,just your useless rambling.

11. wtsinnc

Avira is just super reliable; it's as simple as that !
    Never an issue with installation, no problem with updates since the servers were upgraded for the free version, scans are fast, the application is highly configurable, and as we know, it consistently ranks in the top three or four in detection capability with the differences being razor thin.

I've tried pretty much everything out there at least twice- including Dr. Web and F-Secure- and nothing offers a better balance of protection and user friendliness as Avira.
    -In fact-
    comparing free vs. free and paid vs. paid versions, the only real competition is Avast.
    Forget AVG; it has too many problems.

It's not my intent to bash any of the competing AVs, but some deserve it based on (their) recent performance- or lack of it as the case may be.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    the updator does break alot.
    I dont mean slow updates.
    I mean the updater just not able to update.
    you have to double click a certain .exe file in the program files folder.

it has quite a few fp's

the above is based on the experince my sister had when she used it for a year.

below is based on information from other users.

cannot clean at all.
    if it find an infected file during on demand scan you have to use another product to clean it.

the detection are to generic.
    if during an on demand scan it found rootkit.gen how would you know what rootkit it is so another program can clean it? or even finding any information about it?

they add pretty much anything to the database to look good in tests.

buy a product from a companie who know what they are doing.
    there is a few companies I would reccomend.
    quite alot of people here are avira fanboys and wont tell you the flaws in the product.

13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I have used it for 2 years and recommended on many of my friends and also on a romanian forum to dozens of users. Only 2-3 of them reported something similar.

It has indeed some fps and maybe more then other AV vendors (but setting heuristics on medium would solve it).

That's ridiculous. I've tested it harder on such things: active viruses in memory and also vundo trojans, etc.
    It can even delete them without restart in many cases. For the rest of them restart will succesfully solve the problem.

This was also valid 1-2 years ago but now it is even better thanks to the ARK technology introduced about 6 months ago. ;)

Maybe it has too many generic detections, but if you are really concerned you could always scan the file on virustotal.com to see other vendor's detection name.

@C.S.J.: Very smart attitude. Launching some lies and then leaving. :thumbd:
    Some answers to your statements are to be found in the above sentences I said for lodore.

14. wtsinnc

lodore;

With the exception of the broken updater (twice as I remember- it could have been three times), I've experienced none of those issues in three years of using Avira- free, paid AV, and Security suite six month trial.

Not to deny that these haven't effected some users, just that I've not experienced them.

As far as f/ps are concerned, I can't honestly say that I have ever been plagued with them from any antivirus except for Clam AV which is next to useless and getting no better.

btw; I see the Kaspersky icon in your header;
    I'm a big Kaspersky fan as well. I've had paid subscriptions to the antivirus and security siutes for versions 6, 7, and KIS 2009.
    Good Stuff ! :thumb:

15. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I'm not using Avira at this moment because I'm trying out CIS but I will tell you about 2 years ago I had another free AV on and was infected by a drive by download. To make a long story short Avira Free saved my machine. I can't remember the virus or Trojan but I do remember using Avira and it cleaned up the machine unlike the other Free one I was using at the time. The free version doesn't have spyware detection but if you keep the heuristics on high and use a Threatfire type program with it you have pretty good protection. Just my .02 cents.

Ice

16. webbit

webbit Registered Member

was using trial version of avira premium and everytime i went online with pro evo soccer i got the blue screen and computer rebooted, so i uninstalled avira and everythign was fine, any ideas.

I could not read the blus screen too fast but it is ususally to do with new software and prior to that i was using norton and all was ok

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A backhanded compliment if there ever was one.:p But I have some friends that use Avira and like it a lot.

18. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Yeah, that 99%+ detection rate sure is deceptive! Who could possibly feel protected?! o_O Not getting infected sure beats the shiznit out of cleaning a plagued machine. As for cons, none come to mind personally. The arguments from the children of a lesser antivirus harping on Avira products amazes me.

19. QBgreen

Watch this review. Remember, this is the free version. http://remove-malware.com/anti-malware-reviews/avira-antivir-version-8-review/

20. QBgreen

Your statement is an oxymoron.

21. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I don't even understand what that means?

22. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Not really. He means it can detect malware but not remove it very well.

23. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well interesting that everyone just skiped this line of the post from hutchingsp:
    i think no one here can really say something about these products as they are not comparable to the personal versions.
    well isn't this the idea of an antivirus. preventing a system from beeing infected.
    with a high detection rate you will have also a good protection. not saying that avira is not able to clean. it is and will surely be improved like others vendors doing also.
    each vendor has other prioritys and it's up to us to decide which are the ones we feel the most secure with.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira is not perfect, but its close. The only complaints you will hear is from the users of other AVs who have been consistently wiped out by Avira in every tests thrown at it and there are some glaring examples right on this thread alone. FUD like it doesn't protect, it doesn't clean and many more when every tests prove otherwise, not only it detects best, it also cleans and protects better or as good as other top notch programs. Its sheer case of jealousy and therefore that gives the spreading of the dreaded FUD, some are quite good at FUDs even though the product they are using is no longer in contention having voluntarily withdrawn from testing due to some strange reason ;)

25. QBgreen

Well put, Arup. While I don't worship at the alter of Avira (read: not a 'fanboy'), I certainly appreciate the work that has gone into making their products among the premier anti-virus/malware applications on the market. With the volume of viable testing results so easily available, you would think some of these posters would think twice before posting such cheese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.