Does avast! collect user data?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Amanda, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Recently I saw a thread about avast's data collection or some sort, and I can't find it anymore.

So my question is: does avast collect any kind of user data? And if so, what is collected?

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

The EULAs my help.
    https://www.avast.com/eula
    In short, yes avast does collect information, much like many other AVs these days.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You have to collect data if you want to make good use of cloud systems. If you don't, you may just as well not have them...

4. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I suppose the amount of data gathering depends on the services opted to use during installation. Toolbars collect data and URL filters would most probably as well. As has been stated earlier, for a cloud service to have any real efficacy it would need to collect some data. I think it is to be expected. Whether Avast! or any other particular company uses that aggregate information for nefarious purposes is debatable. I see it as an acceptable trade off, I get a good customisable and effective product for free and they may benefit from data mining me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.