Does anybody else not use a Password manager?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by zapjb, Oct 13, 2021.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not my first choice but it works.

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

In answer to the question:
    Yes.
    (I do have the browser remember paswords / logins for non critical websites. Wlders for example)
    Otherwise I use an encrypted spreadsheet w/ 3 tabs:
    Passwords: for all financial, investment institutions, credit cards, etc.
    Web: for web logins. Forums, vendors, etc.
    Software: to store registration keys and the like.
    Overall, there are well over 100 entries.

3. XIII

XIII Registered Member

For those that don’t use a password manager (to store passwords):

How do you create your passwords?

(most security researchers will tell that passwords created by humans are way less random than their creator like to think)

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

This, and the rest.
    Good post, I could have written it.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

This was a subject I was thinking of, people often use tools like KeePass to generate passwords, but isn't this risky?

BTW, do you also use the sync feature? I see that browsers like Chrome and Vivaldi allow you to sync settings, bookmarks and passwords across all devices. But I feel it's a bit risky.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

For a short time I did, but I've since stopped using it, for pretty much the same reason as yours. I just didn't feel comfortable using it.

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I also don't use banking online. I don't trust it.

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

It does. I personally use it but to use it throughout my company would just not work.

9. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I was slightly surprised when somebody from the USA replied this, but I’m even more surprised this is still possible in the EU.

10. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Why ? In UE we have online banking. I work with pc and internet, no problem. But I don't need online banking and I don't trust it as safe .

11. Rasheed187

Well, if I'm correct they are using the same cloud security measures as third party password managers. But I have never understood why browser developers never decided to beef up password management security.

I have recently tested it, and to my surprise, password decrypting tools have got no difficulty accessing passwords stored by browsers. Weren't they supposed to be encrypted? I have tested it on Vivaldi, don't know about Firefox, perhaps you can check it out.

12. wat0114

Well I found this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-firefox-securely-saves-passwords

13. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I use a combination of linguistics and math. I won't go into detail but the math part is based on the fact that a simple formula can generate a long numerical string from a couple of simple variables. No need to memorize the result, it can be calculated anytime it is needed from the easily memorized formula and input variables. It is also scalable, you can up the complexity and security of the result just by varying the formula a bit. That would be just one component of what I consider to be a secure password.

14. XIII

XIII Registered Member

For those that want to learn more about why you could/should use a password manager: 1Password University

(of course these tutorials are also commercials for 1Password, but they do explain in lay terms why using a password manager can be of value)

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If it's not a secret & a procedural is available. Please post a link.

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I am still greatly disappointed that Firefox had caught up with everyone else when they made you enter your Windows password to look at the contents of their built in password manager,,, and then reverted after some complaints. If your PC is unlocked anyone can sit down and look at your Firefox passwords. I know the response will be "don't step away from your PC without locking it" but life happens.

17. Rasheed187

Weird, they mention that they use simple cryptography when you store passwords inside the Firefox browser. So I wouldn't be surprised if password decrypting tools will be able to crack them.

Actually, perhaps I misunderstood, you can also make use of the Primary Password, formerly known as the Master Password, which should protect third party apps from getting access to stored passwords, I guess I will need to test it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-primary-password-protect-stored-logins

18. wat0114

Since I don't share my computer with anyone, I don't bother with a Primary Password.

19. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Why would u not use a password manager?

20. Rasheed187

Yes but that's the thing. I believe when you don't add a Primary Password, it's easy for malware to decrypt passwords stored in the browser. As soon as you add a Primary Password, then more advanced encryption kicks in, the way I understood it. But with Vivaldi it seems NOT to work like this, very weird.

Perhaps you can check it out with the PasswordFox tool:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html
    https://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html

21. wat0114

Thanks, but I'm confident my security setup would prevent this type of exploit from happening.

22. Rasheed187

I understand this, but it's interesting from a technical point of view. You could simply run the tool and see if it can succesfully display your username and passwords.

Like I said, ChromePass had no difficulty displaying all of my passwords stored by Vivaldi. Eventhough Vivaldi will ask for my computer password if I want to see passwords via Vivaldi myself.

Of course when I blocked access to my Vivaldi profile folder with the Secure Folders tool, ChromePass couldn't access the browser passwords. So this is a nice mitigation.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chromepass.html

23. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Any algebra or calculus text will do. Find a formula you like that can take two or more small input variables and generate a much longer result. Mix it with the word/alphabetic part of the password as you like, beginning, middle or end or in several places. I don't have any links, this is something I came up with because I used to tutor math.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I rely on a password manager to remember my passwords. I didn't need to use that password manager to create the password. I could multiply pi by n and add numbers and symbols, but I doubt I'd remember it x n.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.