Does any one tried Vyatta or Astaro Security Gateway ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mack_guy911, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Please give your reviews on these gateway software if anyone have tired them

and suggestion if there are any more like them..........

Is Astaro Security Gateway free i mean is there any community base free version of it.

Thanks in advance for your kind reviews on these :)

2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

You can get a free version of Astaro here. You have to register and then you can log in to get to the download.

I tried Astaro briefly, but for use at home it's overkill in my opinion. Take a look at the installation documentation for Vyatta before you download it. If that doesn't put you off, you may want to give it a spin. It's a fairly user-unfriendly installation compared to Smoothwall, IPCop, Endian, etc. I use IPCop at home, it's simple and runs well even on very low-end hardware. It also has very good support through the user forums.

3. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

Also Untangle is good.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

5. jlumpkins

jlumpkins Registered Member

In response to the above comment, I just want to say that I have Astaro set up at home on an old 32bit amd computer that I had no other use for, and I love it. I have 2 Linux boxes, a Mac laptop, and a Window's Vista, and Windows 7 machine plus a ipod touch behind it. I find the interface easy to understand, and the feature set a good match for my needs. I have one of the Linux boxes in a dmz running as a web server, and the rest on the internal network, with my Vongage router on the front side so that it's QOS gets to control bandwidth for phone calls.

I've had it running for over 6 months now, and it has stopped a number of viruses from getting to the Windows machines. I get a report daily sent as an email, and the virus definitions on it get updated without any user interaction required. So far, I find it to be a great tool to enhance security for my internal network, and it has worked flawlessly.

I don't find it overkill at all. I'm working on having it be my VPN server as opposed to using my web server that is in the DMZ, and I don't have all of the kinks worked out with that yet, but, I'm pretty sure it's just my own ineptitude.

Best regards,

Jerry Lumpkins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.