Does Acronis lock open files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NYCtech, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCtech

NYCtech Registered Member

Hi. I'm using TI for Servers 8.0 on my email server. Its been installed for a few month and recently I've gotten complaints that some of the users that say all of their old messages start to download again into their POP3 clients.

Here is my question. If Acronis is creating an image of a live server, does it lock the files while its copying them?

Because it seems that my email server is running and has open files that are being copied by Acronis, so If a new email message comes in and a locked file can't be updated with the new data it gets corrupted and resets itself, which causes users to receive their old email again.

2. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

You should read the following Acronis FAQ which advises the temporary suspension of databases prior to taking an image.

You may also find this article by Max Lyadvinski, to be of interest as it describes exactly how True Image works.:cool:

3. NYCtech

NYCtech Registered Member

Thanks, thats useful info. However, how does anybody use Acronis for automated backup if you have to manually suspend the software server is running?

4. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

I haven't done it, but you can create a batch file to stop and start the services. See Section 5.11 of the Server User Guide which can be downloaded from here.:cool:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NYCtech,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Ozmaniac is correct regrading the need to stop the corresponding database services while creating an image. However, only Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows have a capability of stopping\starting these services automatically.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to perform these actions in sections 3.12 and 5.11 of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide which is available in the Documentation section of our web site.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.