Does a Win2k3 SBS version

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by enduser999, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

A client of mine has a Win2k3 SBS server and only 2 XP workstations. Does ESET actually offer a product for Win2k3 server because I can not find any reference to it on the Eset web site.

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Since theres no 2003 workstation operating system, I have always been of the assumption that any mention of versions being for 2003 was meaning for 2k3 server...o_O

http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/download/download.htm

Cheers :)

3. enduser999

I understand what you are saying but when one goes to a vendor's website one usually looks under Products link for product information and system and o/s requirements. One perhaps goes to the vendor's Purchase/Buy area to determine the pricing.

Going to nod32.com take you to ESET's web site. Clicking on Solutions link on the top NAV bar.

Seeing that the client that is looking for an antivirus has only has Win2k3 SBS and two workstations I click on Small and Medium Business. Hmm after clicking on all of the links there I find nothing mentioning Win2k3 SBS.

Well lets try Enterprise followed by NOD32 Enterprise Edition . Hmm this may be the product that I am looking for but there are no hardware or o/s requirements mentioned.

Clicking on the NAV bar Purchase link sends one to a page where there is no mention of pricing for this version. However there is a distributors when send you to a page which has a dead link for an apparent Canadian distributor.

In frustation I go to two major competitors and find what I am looking for on their web sites.

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Many of my clients run SBS2K3..I run it at home even. I have NOD32 on all of them.

They don't have a special bundled package that's labeled for SBS..."yet" ;)

You get Enterprise Edition..and purchase the XMON component on top of that (Exchange Module). Because you are purchasing Exchange protection on top of Enterprise Edition...you get a big discount on XMON.

5. enduser999

Actually the client is simply using their ISPs mail server to send and receive email and not MS Exchange.

6. YeOldeStonecat

Not even using the POP3 connector in Exchange?

7. enduser999

Not that I am aware of. That was the way it was set up by the vendor where SBS and XP was purchased from(long before I was called in).

8. YeOldeStonecat

Wow...what a waste of an excellent server package. Do you plan setting them up with the features?

Is it even setup as a server? LOL Active Directory 'n setup all correctly? Or just running in workgroup mode. I'm going to guess the original...wanna be SMB consultant didn't continue SBS setup and it's running in just workgroup mode, basically running as affective as a Windows XP Pro box.

In which case you don't need XMON, just get 2x workstation NOD clients and 1x licensed for server...not even bother with Enterprise Edition and all that fun stuff.

If you're the new IT guy....I'd recommend finishing installing the server and flipping them over to all those cool features, Exchange, OWA, shared fax, Sharepoint, etc etc...start getting them to enjoy and benefit from all those features....and get yourself some good billable hours. :thumb: :D

9. enduser999

They were forced to go to the Windows2003 Standard server (its not SBS) by a software vendor whose product their business depends up and which was upgraded and only usuable Windows server. The box is running as a Domain Server since both workstation logons on to it to access the database application.

Regarding the billable hours. Do not hold your breath on that. They are a very small shop and have no need for the vast majority of options that Windows 2003 server. Perhaps if they had more than 2 people using the system then I could see it.

They are even balking on installing a antivirus on the server since up to now they have no problems with only protecting the 2 workstations.

Are you saying that NOD32 does not have a server package per se and one simply installs the normal packages on all the boxes?

I am sorry to say that I am also looking at other antivirus packages. My current experiences with NOD32 and other clients' windows computers does not instill a warm and fuzzy feeling on putting NOD32 on even on small server such as this one.

:(

10. YeOldeStonecat

Ahh not SBS....ah well.

Sorry to hear you've not had smooth experiences with NOD in the past....for me, (and I've done a LOOOOOOOT of install of other brands...mostly Symantec CE)...it's been very smooth..one of, it not THE, most trouble free.

Yes they have a regular version for servers..you can install on just 1 box, without all the remote admin stuff..just a plain stand alone version that can install on server.

11. enduser999

This is an example of how my experience with ESET is not improving. Their web site has link for Canadian partner results in a page not found end. So I phoned ESET USA on April 26th at 9CDT and asked for pricing on the server version. I was told to phone the Canadian "distributor" to get pricing. THe 'distributor" appears to be a normal computer dealer. I phoned and as they are on the west coast of Canada they were not opened. I left a detailed explaination and my phone number on their answering machine. At the same time I also used ESET's request quote form on their website. It is approaching 2 days and neither of these sources have bothered to contact me.

ESET has to get their web site updated with current information.

Update:
    The Canadian distributor got back to me with a price for the Windows server and 5 workstations. The pricing is attractive but I have not yet decided whether I will go with NOD32 or a competitor's product.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.