Does A-Squared detect...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gaeko, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaeko

Gaeko Guest

Hi,

I'm using SandboxIE as my main defense.

I was looking for a on-demand scanner,
    since I don't have any AV, AS, AT, AM.

I heard that A-squared Free will be a good on-demand scanner.

Does it detect Viruses, Spywares, Adwares, Trojans, or other malwares?
    I heard that Superantispyware Free or MBAM Free doesn't, or lacks detecting viruses.
    (not disrespecting)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Is there any other free on-demand scanner that detects Viruses, Spywares, Adwares, Trojans, or other malwares?

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Yep it detects all the above and quite well too. Expect many FP's though, but to me FP's are nothing :)

I would still use SAS or MBAM on demand along with A2. :cool:

3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I used A2 for about a month or so with no FP's. I wonder if this is somewhat of a historical view of A2 to do with the unusually high FP rate the IKARUS engine used to generate. IMO this is much better now.

By way of comparison I had 12 FP's from Prevx 3 in the same period although I am willing to admit I probably set AGE/Heuristics too high there.

I'd give A2 a go. It's detection rates are very good for all categories you have mentioned. If you don't like it what have you lost? It uninstalls very cleanly.

Cheers

4. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I've tried a-squared recently and it still has many FPs.

5. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

A2 is a full AM and covers all types of malware.

If you us A2, you will not need SAS, MBAM etc as they are vastly inferio products and none of them will detect anything A2 cant.

6. Someone

This is pure rubbish. It's a fact that no product detects everything, so claims such as "none of them will detect anything A2 cant" is simply wrong. Also, if SAS and MBAM are really "vastly inferior" products then how come they are recommended in almost every malware removal forum?

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree with Retadpuss, A2 covers all malware, in my experience, and you'd be hard pressed to have it miss a sample that another would detect. Usually if something gets through A2, gets through the others. But, just what I've found.

I've read on here the a-squared service, which uses a few megabytes of ram at all times, can be switched off or set to disabled, and the program still works. However, this removes the ability to right-click and scan files. Set to disabled, the scanner loads, but you then have to select which scan you want (smart scan/custom scan), and it would perform a slower scan, including scanning the memory.

So I'd just leave the service running, as the right-click and scan feature is quick and definitely useful.

8. Saraceno

Hopefully this doesn't turn into A vs B. But SAS is still an awesome tool, one of the lightest programs out there, and doesn't conflict with anything. And MBAM has some of the best removal around.

All depends on what you want to use. I prefer to use a-squared, SAS and MBAM, all on-demand. You won't have everyone just use the one program over another, all personal preference. :)

9. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Use SAS amd MBAm free if you want - but I will eat my hat if they ever find anything that A2 misses.

It is true that no AM catches everything, but we need to draw a line under tha days when a dedicated trojan or specific catigory of malware scanner was needed - they are not and they offer no valuable protection to a top AM like A2, Avira etc.

A2 will work in realtime fine with most full AM (Avira etc) as will Prevx. Both these are full AMs and having two full AMs will offer some slight advantage over one. Running something with such limited detection capability as SAS or MBAM (which only catch about 2-5% of malware due to their tiny database) -offers no measurable security, but just sucks processor power.

It is untrue that these scanners catch what the AMs miss - it is pure fantasy.

10. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

Of course Mr Retadpus is so right yes of course:thumb: :cool: :D

That is why all of the expert HJT forums around the web use a2 antimalware free to clean from pc what AV's have missed.No need for any other softwares no none at all.

A2 has most superior detection rate so is best tool that all use and all expert agree is the best.

Why use inferior software a2 is the greatest and all know this and even if it is'nt then it is because Mr Retadpus says so.

Of course Mr Retadpus is right and all experts are wrong :thumb:

So download a2 it is free and it is best and thank Mr Retadpus for making it so:thumb: :thumb: :-*

11. Saraceno

Come on Dr Who, the board is full of personal opinions. If we don't give our opinions, then we might as well just read a blog from the one guy (whoever that may be). :D

If Retadpuss (who I know does test a lot of malware) doesn't like a program I use and like, won't bother me in the slightest! ;)

Relax. :thumb:

12. Someone

Check out this test. SuperAntiSpyware detected 121 infections, A-Squared detected 43 infections and Malwarebytes Antimalware detected 27. A-squared obviously does not detect everything that SAS and MBAM does.

13. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Dr. Web CureIt scanner (No updates, you have to download new version each time) and a rootkit scanner like F-Secure Blacklight or Trend Micro Rootkit Buster would be good additions to A2 scanner.

14. Gaeko

Gaeko Guest

Thanks all.
    BTW, is Prevx on-demand free?

15. bollity

bollity Registered Member

A-squared is very powerful on-demand scanner with more than 3 million signatures and daily updates.

16. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

i use it 24/7, great product.:thumb:

17. Someone

Prevx has a "free" version that has can detect but not remove threats, it has real-time protection.

18. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

The same website, just in another category:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-trojan-scanner-trojan-remover.htm

The a-squared scanner is Top Pick there.

Techsupportalert reflects personal experience and opinions. Same here in the forum.

19. ypestis

ypestis Guest

Dear Saraceno:
    If you are running an administrators account,you can disable the a2free service through services,and still keep the right click scan.
    At least in XP.
    It seems it slows the program opening just a bit.
    It is not like the one for AdAware that borks the program if stopped.

20. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

Yes yes of course a2 is by the far the best of the best:thumb: :D :cool:

Of course all well known expert help forum only use a2 free software for detecting and removal of malware:thumb: :thumb:

Yes of course mr Christian is right too and experts everywhere are wrong,wrong,WRONG!!!

They all lie,it is conspiracy why they not use a2 as they would not be needed at all:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

a2 for president:cool:

21. Saraceno

ypestis: thank you for the reply. I'm running admin account under Vista. I think I'll keep the service for now as it seems to be much quicker to load.

I might just load the full version back on, as the automatic updates were very quick to download. :)

22. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Just one point that I want to bring up (although I have never used the product): I've read that by DEFAULT Sandboxie doesn't protect against reading your system (files). So I presume some spying could take place. Just something to keep in mind.

23. Mosqu

Mosqu Registered Member

Without license Prevx offers free on-demand scanning (without removal) and free real-time detection (without threat-blocking, just alerting = no protection). The real-time detection can be disabled.

24. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

As I need to upload any samples to Virus Total then post detections and how to get details to another forum I will say that both A-Squared and Avira seem to have the best detection rates.

SAS and MBAM are very good at targetting rogues and trojans in helping me clean up other machines.

None are 100% though.

25. ypestis

ypestis Guest

Hi ssj100

If you add A2Free.exe (or whatever the service is named in the full version),
    to Avira's guard exception list,it will dramatically cut the time for the full scan.
    It gets around having to suspend guard to obtain the same effect.
    I also white list large static picture files and the like in A2free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.