Does a hardware firewall exist in a single connection Cable modem?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mercurie, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

That is my question. I have posted in other places. No one seems to know of any. Why not? Someone is missing a profit opportunity.

Just to give an example in story form: Cable customer goes into electronic store. Understands a hardware firewall is best to protect him from incoming attacks. Looks at what is offered gets some run of the mill help from sales staff.

O.k. if I want a hardware firewall I need to buy a seperate Modem and then get a hardwire gateway router both or this wireless cable gateway. I don't need or want wireless and the set up sounds confusing. o_O Wow, this is going to cost and how do I hook it up again? Well that single connection modem over there does that one have a hardware firewall. The Linksys, D-Link, or Surfboard model one? How about those?

I'll let you finish the story with your replies.

Actually I want to purchase such an item. I am tired of paying Comcast $15.00 more a month for the a wireless router. Rental plus service to go wireless. I am going to do something a little different now. It is really not a down grade and is perfectly legal and not a violation of my terms of use. So don't go there o.k. ;)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I was able to find a Linksys WCG200 which is cable modem/router and has firewall but it includes wireless. About $118 at newegg.com

3. mercurie

Wireless brings up a bunch of security issues that a good percentage of the internet user population may not want to deal with. Simple instructions could be written for getting into the software of the firewall of the modem to make slight changes since you are dealing with a single line non wireless device. We are different here. Just think of the security benefits to the keep it simple plug and play population.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I think its stupid you have to pay $15 a month for the wireless since your not even using it!
    I think that is wrong.
    BT used to do that.
    but they stopped doing that and instead done 4 packages.
    some with wireless and some without.
    lodore

5. mercurie

I have decided to have two ISPs. One a DSL which I do know is slower and one Cable. I am currently running both. At first I was going to do away with the Cable ISP but have changed my mind and will keep both. I did use the Cable wireless and still can. However, the DSL provider charges nothing extra for a wireless, and you buy the wireless gateway/router from them. Currently I have the DSL wireless disabled. Just running the gateway router I don't need the wireless. The Cable wireless is still operable but is not at the moment being used.

You might ask what on earth am I doing that for? It's called increasing my odds of never being without a connection. Also have some fun testing the two against each other (not the speed). If Cable goes down, then go use the DSL line. You still have a good speed that is one thing I have already learned. The connections are in two different rooms and the security is tight because eventually I will not have wireless, yet I have the ability to change that as I need with the DSL which I own and remember there is no extra cost to have wireless on the DSL only the Cable. I just enable it.

By the way the idea that Cable is really, really fast vs. DSL is over rated for general internet useage. I am sure gamers and heavy downloaders will disagree but for my needs the speed difference is minimal.

But I hate not having a connection after something like a minor typical thunderstorm, line cut or other ISP disruption. I do of course understand some awful event like a hurricane or tornado will take them both out, but hey, I'm not likely to be on the net for a while in those conditions anyway.

Breaking the cost down the DSL line is fairly cheap I guess cause it is slower, again not that much. If I can get a hardware firewall on a single Cable line modem, do away with the wireless Cable charge including the rental of it. The increase to have two services is very, very small. :)

It is a ripoff to have to pay more to have a Cable wireless. Just got to find that hardware firewall in a cheap modem. Thus my quest.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I agree completely. I avoid wireless like the plague unless it's completely neccessary. Not only does it open up more security loopholes but it's a less reliable & slower connection to my experiences.

I'm a Comcast cable user as well. I never use the free modem's offered by ISP's, they're always generic and cause conflicts. I told them I'd go out and buy my own modem, router, & network card then get back to them with my MAC ID# so they could set everything up on their end. What they are charging for wireless is outrageous. I wouldn't pay it.

Also about the Cable/DSL comparison... I don't notice any difference in browsing speed, but no question that dowloading is considerably quicker with cable. But I don't download alot of stuff anyway, so for people like you and I having cable over DSL isn't much of a benefit in the end.

I think I just stick with them because I like the "Slowski" commericals.

7. mercurie

luciddream,
    oh yes, someone who truly understands! :thumb: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.