Do you use Web of Trust(WOT) add-on?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ams963, Jul 16, 2012.

?

Do you use Web of Trust(WOT) add-on?

1. Yes- on which browsers?

44.1%
  2. No- I had used it but not now(please specify why not)

17.6%
  3. No- I know of it and plan on using it soon

1.5%
  4. No- I've heard of it but not interested(please specify why not)

35.3%
  5. Never heard of it

1.5%
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I always thought most people here liked WOT. :D

2. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

WOT on Chrome, Chromium, FF

wouldn't leave home without it.

:D

- have a good day

feandur

3. Get

Get Registered Member

No- I've heard of it but not interested.

I don't even know anymore what it was, but I guess something to say if a website is trusted, but I'm safe enough with what I have so no need for it.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use it on my Firefox. Wouldn't surf without it. :D

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No I don't. Usually Chrome warns me when a website isn't trustworthy, and as I usually browse either with Sandboxie or Shadow Defender any potential threat is short-lived.

6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Mine doesn't look like that and I'm up to date.

What browser are you using?

7. crofty

crofty Registered Member

I use WOT on ie8, Firefox and chrome

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

WOT on FF...:thumb:

9. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

No, What djohn said

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Use WOT all the time on all computers. FF and IE.
    WOT Member.JPG

11. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

VTZilla add-ons !! :thumb:

I have this extension myself and highly recommend it to anyone like Web of Trust it adds additional security the way it works is by uploading the webpage information to the Virus Total website you simply right click over something and click scan with Virus Total or go to the upper left hand of corner your Firefox and click scan current page there Virus Total will scan the URL and let you know if there's any history of malware on the website that its scanning and usually a file analysis as well for the webpage your uploading Vtzilla is very useful if you like to download different types of files lets say an audio file for example just right and scan the file you want to download and get a fully detailed report on it or lets say you want to download an image OK hears what suggest first right click view image and then click scan current page toward the upper left corner of the screen to get the full detailed report on it
    when Virus Total scans a file it uses up to 44 different antivirus/antimalware venders if more than three say the same thing then you know its probably correct.
    Install this extension you'll be glad you did. ;)

12. DBone

DBone Registered Member

WOT is just a flashmob, but on the web. It gives poor ratings to safe sites, and vice versa. I set my 70yr old parents up with it on their machines but never mine.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I use it on IE9.

14. The Hammer

What does the blue exclamation mark mean when shown with the coloured rating symbol?

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I read that
    I had the same blue exclamation mark and clicked on it, opened the rating window, and it went away. ;)

16. The Hammer

Thanks. In my case it's a new version.

17. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Some may think that WOT is useless, be it from a security standpoint or a reputation rating standpoint. All of that has been explained on their FAQ page (http://www.mywot.com/en/faq) and there have been discussions on the topic before on forums. I don't feel like rehashing such a topic.

To put it bluntly, anyone can say anything about the reliabilty...I don't really care that much about that aspect of it. Neither do I use WOT as a means of malware prevention nor do I put all of my trust in the ratings either.

What I'm interested in is mainly 1 thing: the comments by WOT users. Sometimes, I just want an easy-and-quick way of finding out the opinions of other web users when I come across certain links/sites. These do not necessarily have to do with security/safety against malware whatsoever. Examples may include what others think of the customer service of an online store, what they think of the writer(s) of a blog, or what they think of the community of a particular site/forum, etc etc.

There's no arguing that since the human factor is involved, comments/opinions/judgement may vary and even be downright biased at times. Nevertheless, getting that is still worth something to me. Yeah, you read that right. I just want that human input.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Not a surprise, safeguy.
    Most of us want the same thing (human input), so we come to Wilders.
    Keeping company with machines as frequently as we all do, it is vital that we connect with each other to achieve balance.
    You make an excellent point about WOT's usefulness in this regard. I hadn't thought of it in that light before.

19. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for the post, that's just how I feel about it as well.

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

How so? Do you have the pop ups turned on, or have it set to auto-block? In that case, I'd agree with you. I do neither, and have it show only negative results. I see nothing annoying about seeing a little red/yellow donut beside a link. And contrary to what many say, it's nothing to sneeze at when you do.

That being said, Sandboxie does render it rather moot. But then, Sandboxie renders a lot of security moot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.