Do you use Vpn on Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Do you use Vpn on Linux ?

and my second question do you trust your VPN provider i was wondering because in VPN you giving access of your pc

i seen on many forums VPN can bypass your own system firewall so i wonder o_O

2. jitte

jitte Registered Member

Can't you set up your own?

I've never used a VPN so am not knowledgeable of them but thought you could set them up on your own between 2 machines.

Something like X-Bone.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

yes i know but i was looking for some trust worthy server :D

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

How about BolehVPN or AirVPN?

If you run the VPN in a pfSense VM, you'll have the FreeBSD pf firewall between the VPN and your client VM.

5. jitte

jitte Registered Member

I run pfSense on an old Dell PC with a 2.66GHz P4, 1.25GB RAM and a 13.6GB HD behind my router and love it. :)

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I also use pfSense as my perimeter firewall, on a cheap Brazos box. Actually, the Intel quad NIC cost more than the PC ;) It does 50 Mbps without breaking a sweat. The pfSense featureset is comparable to enterprise routers that cost several thousand USD.

By the way, one could run a VPN on such a device, and provide VPN and straight Internet connectivity on separate LANs.

7. jitte

jitte Registered Member

Mine usually uses between 0%-2% CPU, a steady 2% disk usage, and never over 9% memory with 2 FreeBSD machines behind it.

I've leave it running pftop all the time with the monitor facing out toward the room so I can keep an eye on connections.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.