Do You Use Google Chrome Browser ?

Discussion in 'polls' started by xandros, Sep 18, 2011.

?

Do You Use GoogLe Chrome Browser ?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2012.
  1. Yes

91 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Mhm, I do readily admit that that particular website is over-loaded with junk (their user forum has plenty to complain about with that as well). However, the performance difference between Chrome, Firefox and IE 9 on just that website, is huge in my case. Right now I'm using Firefox 10 Nightly, not even NoScript is installed, and that website loads much faster on the main and subsequent pages.

I've even gone and re-installed Chrome from scratch and it just has the same issues. Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be a support thread for my issues, sorry for the hijack. It's just a shame that every time I've tried Chrome, it's ended badly.

2. Get

Get Registered Member

Tested it in DuckDuckGo, Ixquick and Google (without the "'s) and the results were very similar.

Google has an issue and it's Google Chrome isn't it?

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I hate to break up the "I hate Google" party, but if you're mad, blame Facebook, 3rd party ads on nearly all websites and so on. Google isn't the only one doing it. You're going to have to use the tools available to block most of it, and get used to the fact that this is the way things are now.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yup. And in fact Chrome doesn't do it at all.

But I've already posted earlier explaining that - I don't expect anyone to actually read it =p

5. Hungry Man

Feel free to read the links I provided on the other page.

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Chromse SUCKS and its interface and how it handles downloads SUCKS even more

FireFox blows it out the water and has 100% better add-ons

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Tell us how you really feel. :D

8. Get

Get Registered Member

Typical reaction. When you critisize A people often say "yes, but B, C, D and others are also doing it!". When I say Facebook sucks I would hear yes but Google etc etc. They all suck, but this topic is about Google.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Haha, some people are so, passionate! :D

10. Hungry Man

Feel free to educate yourself:
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/
    http://mikewest.org/2011/09/chrome-privacy

You can have your issues with Google (a separate topic that you still probably have heard loads of misinformation about) but there's nothing wrong with Chrome. They have a team dedicated to privacy and the entire project is open source.

11. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

While I have been and many of my people I support, are using duckduckgo exclusively for quite some time now. And while there is no question that Google search is more robust, DuckDuckGo is actually guite good. It may not return a bizzilion search results like Google, but I have found the quality of the results to be much more focused on the content I was searching for and less on nonsense marketing related sites. However DuckDuckGo is a smal guy compared to Google and they are focused on user privacy unlike Google, which is what myself and many others are looking for in a search engine. Everyone is free to feel their comfort levvel in sharing their info with the world, to each his own. But not everyone will have the same viewpoint as yourself. It doesn't mean their wrong or your right, just means its what is important to them which may not be to you. All in all I like DuckDuckGo, it works for me adequately enough and shares my concerns for privacy. I'm happy.

Well for me Google in general is not a company I want to support in any way in reference to their concern for user privacy and security. This is in spite of the privacy concerns I personally have with Chrome. A little quote from the Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s "If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place.” and “it’s important” that “all information could be made available to the authorities.”

Now between you and me this type of disregard for user privacy is enough to forego any products they produce alone. Remember this is my opinion of Google just as you feel confident with sharing your info on the web is to you.

12. Hungry Man

Eric Schmidt's personal philosophy is really a separate subject. While I do agree with him I think users should be the ones to make the choice.

The fact is that his opinions really don't matter. Chrome is an open source project and I've posted articles showing that it's not a privacy issue. People still refuse to believe that anything associated with Google can't have privacy concerns, which is pretty silly considering that you can literally opt out of Google's tracking while still getting their search provider services.

I don't share my information on the web. I have a Facebook, which has some information available to friends (and Facebook) and I do use Google search (though I use HTTPS.)

Again, Schmidt can say whatever he wants the fact remains that chrome isn't a privacy issue.

13. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I use firefox instead

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I support Google because it's combating various monopolistic forces that would otherwise have their hands deep in my pockets :argh:

* and I support Google Chrome as well!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

51.92% not using Chrome (at time of posting).

"Fascinating" as Mr Spock would say, no doubt raising an eyebrow. Most of the people I know personally, who have decided to download a browser that wasn't shipped with their computer, use Chrome. I can't speak for Vulcans though, as I don't know any personally.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

In that case, I can authoritatively tell you that the eyebrows are "that way only". He doesn't have to raise them.

17. Daveski17

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up for me. ;)

He probably prefers SeaMonkey with LCARS anyway.

Either way, he'd still be as interested as I am why less than half of the people who voted on this thread claim not to use Chrome, when every opinion poll in the Alpha Quadrant claims Chrome is the most popular browser in the galaxy. I believe even the Borg want to assimilate it.

18. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I wish they would. The Borg don't care about money so many of their policies would get changed real quick.

I haven't used and don't intend to try Chrome or any other Google software. The only service of theirs that I use is the search and that goes through a proxy or Tor. As much as possible, I won't allow my system to connect to Google or any of their services.

19. Get

Get Registered Member

You don't really seem to be getting my point. Even when Chrome was the best all-around browser I wouldn't use it. I don't like Google misinformed as that may be according to you. Btw your links concern Chrome and not Google. Give me a link that wil take away my dislike of Google and I will read it of course, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

20. Daveski17

Do you think anyone would really notice the difference between the two? ;)

That may be a wise strategy.

21. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It would be a big change. They'd start trying to assimilate us physically instead of just our wallets and personal info.

When I have more time, I'm going to expand my "no direct connections allowed" policy to inlude Facebook, Twitter, and a few others.

22. Hungry Man

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Doesn't take that much time!

24. Hungry Man

I'll enjoy reading that.

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

"The Stable channel has been updated to 15.0.874.120 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame platforms."

And here's one real big reason why I like Chrome so much....

"This new build also contains a new version of Flash which contains security fixes." :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.