Do you use Ghostery?

Discussion in 'polls' started by carat, Jan 8, 2012.

?

Do you use Ghostery?

1. Yes

98 vote(s)
    49.7%
  2. No

99 vote(s)
    50.3%
  1. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

If this graph says the truth then Ghostery and the like are complete waste of memory/Cpu.

Attached Files:

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unnecessary with all the extensions I already have.

3. EboO

EboO Registered Member

ABP with adapted filters is a powerfull solution.
    For social buttons which is the best solution : antisocial or fanboyz annoyance ?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I use ScriptNo for blocking social widgets and most tracking as well as ABP, which includes DNT.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

using ghostery......good add on against trackers........

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've been a long time user of Ghostery on Iron/Chrome, but I'm pretty sure it is superfluous now I'm using ScriptNo. I do miss some of the educational aspects of Ghostery's information, but ScriptNo has WOT ratings for each script discovered. Plus, I have always believed Ghostery seriously slows page loading. I have noticed quite a difference since uninstalling Ghostery on Iron.

7. Hungry Man

I can't remember if it's Ghostery or Disconnect that's owned by an Ad company and doesn't actually block tracking... I'll see if I can find out.

8. Daveski17

Ghostery is part of Evidon I believe.

9. Hungry Man

I'm unable to get the sources I was hoping to, I can't remember enough about it.

Funnily enough searching for "Scam" and a few phrases brought me to this lol (Not trying to incite, just was a bit of a laugh that I ran into this)
    http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam

I wish I could remember - oh well. It'll hit me later.

10. Daveski17

I think it was the controversy around the fact that Evidon acquired Ghostery that was behind it all.

LOL! Yeah, I've seen it before, still not buying it. ;)

I know Ghostery lost quite a few users after Evidon. I don't know about 'Disconnect'. I'm seriously thinking of losing Ghostery on Firefox as well as it is superfluous on that with NoScript & RequestPolicy. It's just that old habits die hard. It's probably still useful on IE though. Not that I use IE a great deal. I did consider using the 64 bit Ghostery on IE 9 for a bit, but I don't know whether it is needed (or would conflict with) as well as Fanboy's anti-tracking filter.

11. Ghostery_adam

Ghostery_adam Registered Member

Hey everyone. This is Adam from Ghostery.

First, I wanted to thank everyone that uses Ghostery. Second, I wanted to thank everyone here in this thread for your feedback.

Nanobot: Are you using that chart to show memory/CPU usage, or something else? It's a very old chart, and it indicates a percentage decrease in tracking. Nobody has performed a more recent study, but Ghostery would probably be a bit higher given we've been improving it for over a year since that came out.

Ghostery does have some conflicts with IE. IE is a difficult browser to develop extensions for because of the many technical limitations. We'll be improving it in the future, but for now the other Ghostery extensions far outpace our product for this browser. You'll find that if you have "Block all" turned on in Firefox, for instance, pages load an average of 33% faster.

Also, Ghostery is indeed owned by Evidon - formerly called Better Advertising, which is why Hungry Man probably couldn't find the info he was looking for. BA changed its name because, as he pointed out, we sounded like an ad company when our mission is actually to make advertising better by providing privacy solutions. Ghostery keeps its code open for public viewing (and soon it will be open-source), so if anyone is curious they can look. The only info the extension collects is anonymous data that are "donated" via an opt-in feature called GhostRank. This is how we pay for development costs.

Finally, Ghostery is both a privacy tool as well as an educational tool. Our core philosophy is that people should be informed about what's happening behind the scenes on the sites they visit, and also that they should be able to control this tracking. All of the extensions mentioned above work well, and can be used in conjunction with Ghostery or not depending on individual preferences. Each has their strengths and weaknesses - Ghostery's are blocking tracking and providing transparency/education into what's going on in the "invisible web."

If anyone has any questions, we have a support forum on GetSatisfaction: getsatisfaction.com/ghostery

You can also reach me personally at: adam (at) evidon (dot) com.

Thanks,

A

12. Daveski17

@Ghostery_adam: Thanks for the feedback & information Adam. I've used Ghostery for quite a while & I have learnt an awful lot from it. I think that I don't need it as much now on Chrome/Iron or Firefox though as I have other extensions, so many in fact I really need to lose a few that have become a bit superfluous. I will still use it on IE when I need to use Internet Explorer however. I think that Ghostery is a good extension & a very good educational tool, ideal for those not so familiar with NoScript & similar.

EDIT: I've been comparing Firefox speeds with Ghostery & without it, I'm not sure there is any real difference, so I have opted to keep it. I do find that it can slow Iron/Chrome a bit though, so as long as ScriptNo is working well I think I will be OK without Ghostery on those. Firefox is my main (default) browser anyway.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  13. guest

guest Guest

Hey Adam, thanks for the info.

I'll maintain Ghostery here on my Portable Firefox, I didn't experience any slowdowns with your extension and pages really load faster. I use other tools like the ones I cited here; at "first" glance (first on this setup, lol) Ghostery seemed to be useless, but none of my other tools could effectively block things like "sharethis" without some "tweaking" on my part. Ghostery works well out-of-the-box (actually not really "out-of-the-box", but after a very easy initial setup).

14. Daveski17

Yes, thinking about it, Ghostery would be useful on a portable where something like NoScript & ScriptNo may be a little intrusive or hard work. It works well on Opera as well, as there is no real substitute for it, now that NotScripts isn't being developed.

15. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

@Ghostery_adam

I'm using the chart to show that with the proper filters you don't need Ghostery plus you have the benefits to save in Cpu/ram usage, and no i wouldn't call this study old.

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/node/6730

16. Hungry Man

Thanks for the info. This makes sense and that's a business model I can get behind.

17. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Yep Ghostery on Chromium and Opera here.

18. TigerRaptorFX

TigerRaptorFX Registered Member

I like how Ghostery informs the user who is trying to track your browser. I visit the Time website on a daily bases and it is amazing how many trackers they use. Some pages 17 or higher.

19. zongamin

zongamin Registered Member

Your chart appears to show that Ghostery can reduce tracking by up to 80% - which is a clear benefit if reducing tracking is your aim.

It's really not clear what you are trying to say in that chart.

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i dis not vote because i'm just testing it.

so how do you folks use this thing?
    do you block everything and whitelist some sites as you go?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  21. moontan

22. moontan

done some research.

here's a page from Ghostery's own forum:
    ---https://getsatisfaction.com/ghostery/topics/source_code_gone_awol_clear_link_please

it would seem like this Ghostery can be trusted.
    for now. lol

23. tlu

tlu Guest

No, I don't use Ghostery. Blocking 3rd party cookies + ABP with Easylist and EasyPrivacy is sufficient IMHO. Besides, I'm using Noscript which does the rest.

24. moontan

after testing it for a couple of days and doing some research i have concluded that this addon his safe.

i haven't checked the source code or looked at the firewall logs, because i don't have the expertise anyway.
    so take it for what it's worth.

i just voted YES minutes ago as i intend to use this for quite awhile.

25. nune22

nune22 Registered Member

I use Ghostery, NoScript, BetterPrivacy and Adblock Plus

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.