Do you use FREE or Paid Antivirus / Internet Security?

Discussion in 'polls' started by berryracer, Oct 5, 2012.

?

Do you trust free security solutions?

1. Yes, why not? I dont wanna pay

55.5%
  2. No, I would rather pay and get more security

29.2%
  3. I don't use any antivirus / Internet Security

15.3%
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Right. MBAM offers only free and lifetime subscriptions. Free and yearly subscriptions would support the whole mbam team to continue the amazing work against malware for a long time. :)

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

MBAM has ( a lot of) yearly subscriptions as well (Business Licences) :)

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh! I didn't know that. Thanks. :thumb: Then it's okay for Malwarebytes team to give us free and lifetime licenses. And hopefully they would continue without any worries. :D

4. Snowden

Snowden Registered Member

I feel secure w/ avast! free but I've been reading great reviews about the new version of AVG 2013

5. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Yes, why not? I dont wanna pay I use two free products, one of them is a free version of a paid for product.

No, I would rather pay and get more security Paying for does not always mean more security. The main reason I paid for what I use is, I like it, not because I think it's more secure.

I don't use any antivirus / Internet Security This is were I placed my vote. With the exception of one laptop and a couple of virtual machines none of my systems run Windows.

6. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

mix of free and paid apps:thumb:

7. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I always pay for Internet Security software. The main reason why I choose for Internet Security software is that all components/modules are compatible which each others. Why I not choose for free protection is because less frequent updates, no support or only user support.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i haven't used real-time AV suites for 2-3 years now.

i'm the only one using this machine so i don't need to turn my computer into the Pentagon.

of course, things might be different if i had teenagers. ;)

9. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I havn't any reason to use paidee yet.

10. Pilate

Pilate Registered Member

I'm prefer to use the free software. Therefore I use Comodo Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.

11. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Free - Comodo Internet Security Premium

12. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

if I have to use support to solve problems then I drop the software in favor of another one that caues less issues.

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Why? What is support there for then? It could be an incredibly simple bug or issue that you just don't know how to tackle or can't be fixed on your end, but in the right hands is a 5 minute deal.

On-topic, both free and paid for me.

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Voted free! I 'd like to use paid (Twister), but i have to use free. How lame is that...

My problem in general with paid AVs, is that they are heavy or have performance hits. For example, i don't want http scanners, they will cut somewhat browsing speed. So, i end up prefering free versions over paid that have "extra features", that i actually don't want. :D

AVs are overrated anyway, with other type of programs installed, an AV is good as "confirmation". If i had to visit 100 infected websites, i 'd rather take free Comodo with D+, rather than any of the "99,99999999999% detection rate" paid AVs. :D

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You don't actually own any of the software that you use; you are granted permission to use the developer's intellectual property, and within agreed upon limitations (outlined in the EULA). If you owned it, you could modify it, sell it, etc. It may seem like a semantic distinction, but it's an important one.

When it comes to yearly renewal fees, it's worth considering that antivirus companies are actively working 24/7 on updates; that's not true of any other kind of software (that I can think of). Not only that but the research and development required to keep the software updated (both in terms of definitions and the software, such as the proactive and scanning functionality) involves a level of skill, expertise, and time efficiency that is beyond that of any other software (that I can think of). They have to constantly strategize, investigate, research, and so on, in areas that there are no handbooks for; they have to do a lot of reverse engineering of not only malware but the OS. On top of even that, the stakes are much higher, both in terms of protection and bugs (since bugs can impact the entire system), and they have to work as quickly as possible without the room to push out deadlines; this requires that employees at all levels be more capable and reliable than other companies, so they can't skimp in areas that other software companies can. If any type of software deserves yearly fees, it's security software.

Many companies offer a yearly fee for continual software updates that's quite fair, as opposed to a higher fee for major version updates. Security software companies offer you much more for prices that are often quite comparable. When you consider the above, it's really more than reasonable.

Yes, it would be great if we didn't have to pay, but those people become the experts that they are, and keep up-to-date on bleeding edge information like they do, by dedicating at least half of their waking lives to it (and probably significantly more), and that only happens if they can pay their bills while doing it. If you don't pay, then either they have to get the money from someone or somewhere else, and/or you sacrifice something or things from the above.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  16. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

If there is something I can't solve, it is usually a buggy software. If it is not a bug then the software is already too complicated for me to bother in the first place.
    There is a lot alternatives out there usually, whether free, lifetime or rentware. I never do the last. I don't mind paying premium for lifetime license as long as it is a reputible company such as outpost, mbam, sandboxie, etc... As for support, I look more towards customer service side. But each to their own. If I was managing a company for several hundred computers then I can see how technical support would have been important to me.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

+1
    The voice of the reasoning. :D
    I'm not into paid software but if it's cheap enough for my budget and they offer a great product . . WHY NOT! :D

18. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I use a mix of free and paid! :thumb:

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yup; personal budgets are another matter altogether :) (or :( depending on your budget :D) I tend toward paid software, but generally wait to find good deals. I do also use free software. I didn't vote because I don't judge an app's trustworthiness by its price tag.

I do try to avoid software that only has support by something like forums, though (unfortunately paid software can do this as well). All software has bugs, so sometimes you have to get in touch with them to fix and/or work around any issues. No matter how knowledgeable you are you can miss things -- often because there's things about the software that you can't know. A company with good support will also often fix true bugs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Does microsoft not support and update MSE then.:rolleyes:

21. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I was unaware that there was an email and phone number for [responsive and personal] support for MSE. They help remove malware that MSE missed?

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Not that I'm aware of. About all they'd do is recommend you download a second opinion like MBAM free. Really that's all they can do, and they aren't likely to help with issues not involving their products. And let's not forget that usually MS phone support costs a good bit of change.

23. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus on all of my Desktop PC's for several years and have been happy with it.

There are some good performing Free AV's available, but I am happy with ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Good to know that.
    I am purchasing Avast! Mobile Security Premium once they launch it. Well worth my money and support! :thumb:

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm happy with Security 360. I prefer to use free antivirus software as I believe there is no significant advantage in using paid security software. Also I'm sure that just about all commercial security software won't be as light as Security 360, which is reason enough for me to not use them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.