Do you use different usernames across different sites?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

*facepalm* That is not at all how copyright works.

First of all, "copyright" is a noun, not a verb. You can't "copyright" something. Copyright is granted at the moment of creation and there's little to nothing you can do about it.

Second, names do not fall under copyright statute. The closest thing to such protection you could get for a name would be "trademark".

Third, you can't trademark a username.​

If you're interested in this stuff (and why the whole concept of "intellectual property" is bogus), check out:

http://c4sif.org/resources/

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

This is actually the only place left that I don't use my real, full name in posting.

It's a matter of "identity cohesion" for me, because to establish both reliability/ trustworthiness across sites, I must do so.

BTW - it's Steven Peter Yevchak, Sr. (the 1st) .

Not much mystery behind the spy1 nic, is there? Pete

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm reading this thread and thinking how I would have to keep a list of forums and their respective usernames at my side so I could use the right username at the right forum, if I used different usernames where ever I went. :p

4. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Just curious. How do you keep track of so many usernames across different sites? Why are you guys so privacy conscious? Do you memorize all of those different usernames or do you write it down somewhere?

5. DesuMaiden

Conclusion: I should continue this practice to ensure my safety. Always use a different username for every site you sign up to. Anyone who uses the same username across every site is very internet unsafe.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's easy.

Every username has its own VM ;)

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I try not to use too many...otherwise it tends to get confusing as to the who, what, where, when and why. :D

8. DesuMaiden

The best strategy is to use the same username across sites of the same topic and different usernames across sites of a different topic. For example, I use (blank # 1) username on music sites and (blank #2) usernames on gaming sites.

9. mirimir

That's basically what I do. Each pseudonym has its own interests.

10. DesuMaiden

It's a lot more convenient than having a separate username for every site you sign up for, because I may sign up for ten sites of the same topic and it would be too much a pain ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ to have ten separate usernames. Especially when I have fifty other sites I sign up for, all with different interests in mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  11. DesuMaiden

Our conclusion: using the same username across every site is a BAD idea, because it makes it very easy for anyone with access to google to cyber-stalk you. It is best to use a different usernames across different sites, although using the same username on only a few sites of the same topic/interest is OK. I'm correct on this?

12. mirimir

I agree :)

13. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

funny i just use a random name generator smack it abit and voila with little effort i get as many usernames as i wish too , tracking wich one is wich ?

why in hell would anyone want to do such a thing with 50000+ registered sites and counting , it comes naturally that you know who you are at least to me xD , depending on site visited and for the rest thers keepass wich will help you out with managing usernames , passwords, notes about interests if you even need that , interests are easy to make up with abit of imagination or hell use a complete identity generator for that as well ;) , you should try it youd be suprised , lols

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  14. DesuMaiden

Good idea. Random username generators I will start using.

15. uppreisnarmadur

uppreisnarmadur Registered Member

If someone wants to track someone for any particular reason, they'll not only try to identify by username, but also by typing style and interests. Using the same username over and over is not the best idea. Mix it up as best as you can and do not divulge too much information.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  16. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

Has anyone created a pseudonyme for their own consciousness? After reading A Scanner Darkly, I became concerned that the hemispheres of my brain were not sufficiently compartmentalized from each other. That left hemisphere has always seemed like a honeypot to me.

Okay, sorry, I couldn't resist. I know you all are right about mixing up the usernames, but man, sometimes it's just a pain to do things the right way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.