Do you use anything AOL ??

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Feb 16, 2013.

?

Do you use anything AOL?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    88.5%
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry my bad, it was late 1999 actually. :D
    And around then we paid I guess between 35-45$ hard to say exactly since the dollar is a little weaker now than it was around that time.

Today we got 8/1 connection and it's perfectly fine for the things I do online.
    And we pay the same amount today as I did back then :thumb:

I could get a 1000mbit connection for 158$ a month but I simply don't have any use for that kind of speed today.
    And the price is simply too high for us, but it will go down eventually as everything else does when it has been available on the market for a few years.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, i didn-t even own a computer back then. I used 56k Dial Up until 2007-2008. Then i switched to ADSL 64K, then 128K, then 256K, then 512K, then 1MB, then 2MB and now im between 3MB and 5MB. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Active Virus Shield...I remember that...I believe that was powered by Kaspersky and free.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Active Virus Shield was a free version of Kaspserky, and worked very well. But sadly, AOL ended up discontinuing it in favour of a new product based on Mcafee.

The antispyware was a different product. That was back in the days where there were a lot of antispyware products, unlike today.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well my story is like this....I moved from 512k, to 2MB (it made a HUGE difference from 512k) and used this speed for a couple of years, and then I moved to 5MB and used it for around 1-2 years, and then I finally moved to 8MB and have used it ever since. ;)

BTW I didn't even know that ISPs used to offer 64, 128, and 256k. I thought that 0.5MB/512k was the lowest they had to offer regarding ADSL :D

Fells good looking back, knowing that the speed goes up and our hardware and technology gets better, faster, and more reliable :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. acr1965

I remember my first Apple computer had a 2400 baud modem...and how thrilling it was to finally move up to 56k with a Windows rig years later. Still I had to disable call waiting and my phone line always had a busy signal as I was always on the internet.

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I do not use anything AOL.

However, I know some people who still use AOL EMail. They have commented that if there was some simple way to transfer their EMail addresses to a new EMail service, they would change. Does anyone know how to do this without buying software?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No desire or need for any.

9. acr1965

why not just forward the aol email to a new address? let other people know about the new address as well, eventually people will find out but it may take a little while

10. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I used to chat with a bunch of friend in college on AIM. This was pre-Skype era, eventually everybody moved to Skype. After PRSIM, Im trying to stay away from big companies even more. There is no way that I would sign up for anything AOL unless I was forced into it.

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've gotta say that I still like AOL Mail & still use it quite regularly. It is simple to use & effective. It kinda reminds me of Gmail before Google 'improved' it.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The only reason they started to improve and lower the prices was because a second company entered the ISP market, if not i guess i would still be stuck at 64K. :rolleyes:
    After the second ISP entered the market in less that 5 years i went from 64K to what i have now.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes that's what the competition does, doesn't really matter if it is ISP's or, CPU -> AMD vs Intel, GPU -> AMD/ATI vs Nvidia.

Well, it's not that much competition between the above companies now anymore, but if you look back a couple of years then it surely was.

But I think you get the point, so without anykind of competition in the different markets in your case ISP's it would probably go much much slower to get the speeds up, and get more reasonable prices. Or Car manufacturers trying to build the fastest supercar, or the best electric car, lowering the fuel consumption etc etc... Competition always push things forward on good and bad. :thumb:

So yes, you could still be using the 64K today if that wouldn't have happened, even though I doubt it. :D ;)

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha yeah good memories, around 12-15 years I couldn't call my friend since he was on the Internet. My mom asked is he talking on the phone all this time.....I said No, he's on the Internet...apparently. Then next question, what's the Internet?.....ahhh it's this new exciting thing. And the rest is history :D

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My whole family and relatives used to complain because i was always on the internet, also the first month of dial up we didnt know that using the internet used your phone line minutes so a HUGE phone bill came that month. :D :D
    Not my fault. :rolleyes:

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Could not stand anything AOL. So no I guess. :blink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.