Do you use an Anti-Keylogger?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Do you use an Anti-Keylogger program? If so which one? How much memory does it use? Why do you use that one?

dja2k

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I depend on BoClean to cover this area of security. It's very light. That is probably not the type of answer you were looking for. A seperate program to cover this I do not use. I figured if I am not careful I will be software rich and cash poor.

3. whatiuse

whatiuse Guest

I don't run any anti-keylogger software realtime, besides the HIPS/IDS like programs on my system.

I do run occasional manual scans, incase something slips past my other defenses, with Security Task Manager, Spycop and Unhackme. All three will find some keyloggers and none use over 8,000k when manual scans are run.

I have heard all three are very good at finding keyloggers, so that's why I use them.

Good thread on anti-keyloggers. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=94734

4. Stann

Stann Guest

I don't run a special keylogger detector often at all. A good process monitor as mentioned above will find most, but there are a select few so called "kernel mode" loggers which are quite hard to detect...a manual scanner like Spycop helps here, which I run on occasion just to be sure. Keep your firewall up to date and you'll keep *most* of them from getting in or phoning home.

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Anyone know if any of these are good - Anti-Keylogger 6.2, Advanced Anti-keylogger 3.6.2, or Anti-keylogger Elite 1.6?

dja2k

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I use SnoopFree Privacy Shield. One unique characteristic is that the service component loads before anything else in the load order. Its memory usage/peak is 2,898 KB for the UI component. There is a service component with a usage/peak of 1,416 KB. Add/Remove is the typical method to remove SnoopFree.

It caught/and I set it to block keyboard level hooks in the mail client user level software of my ISP which I have yet to decide are benign or otherwise.

It is freeware available here.

-- Tom

P.S. I run WinXP Pro SP2.

7. whatiuse

whatiuse Guest

Yeah but Snoopfree won't stop kernel mode keyloggers, and those are the sneaky ones that you want to find and stop the most.

But if you use something like Unhackme, along with Snoopfree, you would then have the necessary protection to find the real nasty kernel keyloggers, along with the hook based ones that Snoopfree already detects.

Personally I don't really think it's necessary to run an anti-keylogger realtime, if you have a good HIPS program like Process Guard, Antihook, OnlineArmor etc.....etc.... along with your firewall and AV.

I only run manual scans for keyloggers every once in a while with a few different AKs, and don't really worry about trying to stop keyloggers in realtime because I prevent them from being installed in the first place with my IDS programs and a little common sense.

If your extra paranoid, or work for the CIA or something, you may want to run a AK like Advanced Anti-keylogger, Anti-Keylogger, & Anti-Keylogger Elite. But I'm not convinced that these three anti-keyloggers will stop all keyloggers from logging your key strokes though anyway, especially kernel based ones.

IMHO your better off trying to prevent keyloggers from being installed in the first place, which hopefully will help you to avoid other types of malware as well. But each to their own I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.