Do you use a Secondary Browser and if so...Why?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Tyrizian, Jun 19, 2013.

?

Do you use a Secondary Browser and if so...Why?

1. Yes I do, Let me explain...

67.4%
  2. No I don't, Let me explain...

27.9%
  3. Other...

4.7%
  1. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

My second browser is Chrome Portable.
    Main Opera.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Just one, Yandex. In case of problems, I can always enable IE temporarily and I keep portable Chromium on USB. I like to keep everything light and simple.

3. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

Main: Mozilla Firefox

Then: Opera for the turbo mode

4. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Like another member said, I also like a backup and I just like to try different ones out, but my main one is chrome.
    Here's my list of browsers, I don't use them very much though

http://i.imgur.com/wiWqOeX.png

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Wow, Sandboxie has a lot of work with all these browsers running :doubt:

6. Overkill

I usually only use one at a time 2 at the most :cool:

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Lovely picture MRF, that is a nice example of how to get all the juice out of SBIE. Very nice in my opinion.

About the browsers. I use Firefox almost 100% of the time. In XP, I still use IE8 for Windows update. In W7, I am still in IE9. I like IE9 a lot but rarely use it so I am voting No.

Bo

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I prefer Firefox because of the extensions, it's my main browser.

But IE came with Windows and I don't think I can remove it without something terrible happening, plus some sites only work with IE.

I use Tor Browser when I want extra anonymity, but it's basically Firefox with Tor Button.

I think I need Chrome for some google services, but I rarely use it for regular web browsing. In addition, Comodo came with Comodo Dragon, which I've kept and use occationally my firefox plugins conflict with a site or downloads. I think it's supposed to be a more secure version of Chrome.

I also tried portable version of Opera and Iron (Chrome-variant). I rarely use them, but kept them in case I want to do portable browsing.

On Android I use mostly the default browser, but I also installed Firefox for secondary to import my settings, bookmarks, etc. but I prefer the default browser.

9. Overkill

Thanks Bo, I like trying new browsers so portable's are very convenient...if I don't like one I simply delete rather than dealing with un-installing :argh:

10. x942

x942 Guest

Yes because of sandboxing no because of noscript. Until noscript becomes available for chrome (which won't be anytime soon) I will keep FF as my secure browser. :)

Also in my experience pages render faster and better in chrome. But this could be do to security add-ons as well.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Is ScriptSafe or Chrome's built-in javascript whitelisting that hard to find? Or did you let your bias make an incomplete assessment?

I have around the same number of add-ons, and the same security ones, Chrome performed far better. I don't know exactly how well Firefox improved in the last couple of versions, but the changelog isn't impressive enough.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Yes, web development and such.
    Mrk

13. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I guess technically I do, although I only use IE8 for Windows Updates, I do use it, so it counts. But that's all I use it for. Besides that it's Firefox. Though if I were to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 I would give Chrome some serious consideration. I love the idea of built-in sandboxing/integrity levels, and even sandboxed tabs. If ScriptNo could become like NoScript for Chrome it may put it over the hump in my eyes.

14. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

the only reason i don't use IE10 is the lack of mouse gestures and a speed dial. that's why use Opera, for many years now. security-wise, all browsers are ~ equal, IE has come a long way since years ago, and it still assures compatibility with all sites out there.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use FF and use IE as my secondary browser. Use it as backup.

16. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

My experience is different. IE10 doesn´t work well with several of my financial sites. These companies are very conservative and slow to adapt their systems to use new browsers.
    I currently do the same. I use FF as default only because of the Disconnect extension.

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I find it useful to have a second browser for the rare occasions when my primary browser has trouble opening a web site.

18. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I just remembered another use for a secondary browser. Sometimes I post an image to a forum via a direct link to a different site. But, sometimes the site doesn't allow that. When I post the image, it shows up on my main browser because I've already seen the image and it's retrieved from the cache. So, I try opening the page in the other browser (which won't have it in its cache) to see if the image will show up for others. If it doesn't show up there, I go back and edit the post so I can find another image.

19. jingjing

jingjing Registered Member

I use IE and firefox.

20. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

you have to click on "compatibility view" for those sites.

21. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I have a total of 8 browsers installed and use 3 on a regular basis. I use Firefox for my main business sites and for security reasons, I restrict it to those sites. I have the Adblock Plus and ShowIP addons installed to keep distracting adds which might link to sites I don't want to link to off and to show the IP of the sites I use so I know I'm on the real site. I use 2 versions of Opera for casual browsing, 9 and 12. Some sites don't work right anymore with 9 but I like it's look better. I use 12 for reading news sites and a few other sites that don't render properly in 9. Opera is not tied in to the OS in any deep way and if it gets exploited, it will just crash the browser and not do much more damage. Youtube works best with Safari and that's all I use it for. Seamonkey gets used when there is a site that doesn't work with Opera 12. IE is there because it's there. I also have a very light browser--Slimbrowser--that has a really good download manager. I use it occasionally to handle a large download.

I occasionally do some very simple web development and I test my web pages on all the browsers and if I did this more, I would install Chrome, Comodo Dragon and any other browsers that might be used somewhere.

22. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Welp, Today is the day when a website didn't work for me (Comodo IceDragon), So I downloaded a secondary browser (Comodo Dragon) and it worked fine.

It looks like I'm changing course and keeping a secondary browser on hand from now on.

I change my vote to Yes I do use a secondary browser.

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I always return to dear old dependable firefox.
    I have wandered a few times to comodo dragon and opera and as much as i love the aforementioned browsers,i have a soft spot for the fox and its never let me down.

When you reach middle age it helps to find something which deserves some loyalty and firefox has earned that title.

24. x942

x942 Guest

Actually I preferred it because it gives your verbose controls. I have now switched over to chrome. It appears they have made the script white-listing better. It doesn't allow it forever like it used, only for the one session which I like. Also it doesn't break sites like noscript tends to, even when you allow scripts.

25. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I had to get rid of Comodo IceDragon, had some problems with the Mozilla based variant.

Back to good ol' regular Firefox

Comodo Dragon still my secondary though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.