Do you use a mail client? What is it? Why?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bonedriven, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Use web mail for junk and Thunderbird POP3 for the good stuff

2. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Eudora, for many years and many gigs, especially forums which I search some. The filtering is very robust, (searching is good too) .. I use a two-stage filtering, incoming and manual, with many filters .. the main reason I barely consider Thunderbird, even with Eudora ending development in the legacy version. All attempted Eudora replacements have been problematic, all attempted alternatives (Thunderbird, The Bat!, Becky, Poco, Outlooks, Pegasus and others) have had significant weaknesses, even if import of the Eudora mailboxes is fine.

The little bit of mail that is business that I want to see online I use a few Gmail accounts and forward a copy to my ISP Eudora account. When I out-go that mail from the home ISP Eudora mailboxes (rather than online Google) I try to remember to use the personality with the Google mail addy. Generally I prefer the folders, filtering and speed and searching and solidity and composing and backup, all aspects, of the home setup compared to my Gmail acounts.

I played a bit with host-server mailboxes, using my domain names, for the most part I decided it was not worthwhile.

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Fastmail. I have an optional paid plan ($15 year) with them using their "mailbolt.com" domain (you have your choice of several) that is loaded with features and no ads anywhere.

I also use Gmail, but have found myself forwarding more and more of my gmail (great spam filters) to my mailbolt (fastmail) account.

I highly recommend you at least try Fastmail.

BTW, I actually understand the "creepy" factor of Gmail. I know somebody who was using Gmail as a journal but stopped when the ads started referring to the private things in their lives. Yeah, that's a bit "creepy."

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

GMail for personal stuff (PayPal, eBay, Family) and Yahoo Mail for everything else. I did away with a PC based mail handler about 2 years ago and have not regretted it the least. Both GMail and Yahoo Mail scan for viruses and have spam filters. What more do you need? Using a web based mail service gives me one less thing to be worried about as far as my PC goes.

Have a great tomorrow, everyone.

Later...

5. lagerstedt

lagerstedt Registered Member

I use Eudora and Thunderbird. Quite happy with both. Eudora since 1994 and Thunderbird since 2005. It is so easy to backup Eudora's folders. They are just text files. Thunderbird's folders are not transparent at all. So Eudora is my main client.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Incredimail users....do a Google search "Incredimail and adware"

;)

For many years, PCs that I work on that have Incredimail...will need a while to clean up.

Outlook user myself...whatever the latest version is,also Gmail, or many times simply OWA to my Exchange Server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.