Do you trust the cloud?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Page42, Feb 5, 2010.

?

Do you trust the cloud?

1. Yes

9.6%
  2. No

32.9%
  3. Yes, but it depends on the vendor

44.3%
  4. I don't know if I do or not

6.6%
  5. I probably will someday

3.0%
  6. I once did but I don't now

1.8%
  7. Other (please explain)

1.8%
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Not really. Perhaps a midrange desktop or something.... but something like a netbook really isn't that capable.

The thing about the cloud is that as far as your netbook can be upgraded and the technology can advanced it will always be limited by a set of factors.

The cloud is limited as well, but by overhead, your internet speeds, and the amount you can actually download. Basically 90% of the overhead is from your ISP.

Having your 1TB backed up across the cloud is very helpful. You can access it anywhere and it's not likely to go down across all of their servers.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

There is no cloud in the sense of a new invention. It's still the www, still with bad actors and okay hosts so if you give me a specific case this question makes sense.

Question should be more specific IMHO. ie

"do you trust the M$ cloud?"

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

No. I don't trust it one little bit.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't really care about clouds if they store lame information (Such as Google Sync for my bookmarks etc.)
    But i would never store my real data on a cloud, NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER. As people said, storage is so cheap right now theres no need to waste my bandwidth with cloud storage :thumbd:

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Provided that where you're at or going has internet access. With portable storage, internet access isn't required.
    As for cloud computing to accomodate netbooks, anyone who buys those underpowered toys deserves what they get.

6. Hungry Man

lol... if you can't understand the appeal of a netbook perhaps that's your issue and not the consumers?

7. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

I think companies benefit most from cloud applications. The cloud can be hosted on the company's own equipment and after that, all applications are centralized. Upgrading and tech support is easy.

Normal users also could benefit from cloud when storing random data which they need to access from many devices - bookmarks, not-so-important work files, etc.

However, I don't think anyone else benefits much from cloud applications. When the host is a 3rd party company, there are huge privacy concerns. Also, the possibility of data lost is there. And don't even get me started on the I/O intensive applications - sometimes cloud promoting marketers forget that there is this thing called connection error, and it's relative, network lag. These two make applications which require moving huge amounts of data unreliable. The best example of this may be gaming services which store and process the games (which are originally designed to run on normal PCs) in cloud. They don't work at all, because the technology it relies on doesn't work fast enough.

Edit: Oh, I replied a bit offtopically. My short answer is: no, I don't trust the cloud enough. Technically and security-wise, that is.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How are you going to have multiple computers from different parts of the world up-to-date with the same software and data? What do you do if all of your storage devices fail or runs out of space? How are you going to get lots of people all over the world to collaborate on one project? Etc, etc.

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The same question could be levelled at cloud services. There is a risk using either method that at some point something will fail.

10. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I have looked at some of those netbooks. If I had a need for portable computing (which I don't), I'd choose a laptop any day, with a screen I can see and enough power to run my own apps. To me, a PC is primarily a tool which makes the number one requirement the ability to do the job. Those netbooks are the equivalent of those cheap wrench sets that you find in little outlet stores or that get included as free gifts. They look nice, but they break or bend the first time they encounter a tough bolt. If that's "my issue", so be it. I want tools that work.

J_L,
    Most of what you've mentioned is commercial and business use. The non-business user will rarely if ever need those. Most businesses that have such needs already have software can can do all those things. As for the storage space, like I said earlier, it's never been cheaper or available in such large capacities. Why would you think that cloud storage of data would be more economical or reliable than physical storage on your own equipment, or even close to as fast? For some storage purposes, using the cloud would be senseless. Example: backups of your operating system.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I prefer using cloud storage for convenience, carrying around a flash drive isn't always possible / practicable and there's always the risk of losing it or theft. Nothing beats free, unless you're given money. I don't think it's more reliable, but the more backups the better.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

More and more businessmen are relying on the cloud for solutions.

check is in the cloud.jpg

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I trust it until there is a reason not to.;)

14. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Excellent post!

15. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

For those who trust cloud services, perhaps you are not familiar with BOFH?

16. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

i like cloud based protection along with traditional AV/AS and firewall

17. carat

carat Guest

I don't know if I trust the cloud or not but you're right :thumb:

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Expect that in using any third-party service.

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I will never EVER use cloud storage specially, storing my personal information, even if it's a lame pic in the cloud?
    FORGET it! :D

20. Hungry Man

Yeah, I wouldn't store certain info in the cloud. I mean, certain info just shouldn't be on a computer.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I prefer carrying my USB which is so cheap nowadays or a portable HDD. :D
    Well to be honest i could use the cloud for things like school appointments, setups for small programs etc. :rolleyes:

22. Hungry Man

I use dropbox, which I know to be fairly insecure. It's just the easiest and I could care less about people seeing it. I have some videos, which I legally own and have uploaded for streaming/ easy access. I have some files etc, my resume is even on there except it's encrypted.

23. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

It depends on the vendor for me. :)

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

In other words, no? ;)

25. Hungry Man

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.