Do you 'trust' Microsoft???

Discussion in 'polls' started by theblade, Feb 23, 2010.

?

Do you trust Microsoft???

1. Yes

95 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Undecided

22 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Not at all, prefer other OS or always prefer 3rd party software in Windows

35 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I use the OS because that's what came with the PC. That's about all I use by them. If it weren't for these other companies continually pushing Microsoft, we would all be screwed.:rolleyes:

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Right! I don't think any product has 100% reliability.

On trust for a vendors users can block outgoing packets to their servers. I turn off MS updates until they do their monthly updates and on some of their softwares block access to the www. Media Player is an example.

So yes on that basis I don't blindly trust MS either. But google and yahoo routinely scan my system but I just block them as well. The difference maker is the
    firewall rules. On an indivual basis there is lttle we can do about nasty clauses in their EULA's. The EU takes them on at a government level that gets their attention.

See ya

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I trust Microsoft, as much as reality will allow. Isnt that true for any solid mass.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! :D

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

The Question is really is "How much do you Really Trust microsoft. The operating System or Everything made by microsoft

6. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

yes absolutely they are making huge improvements so they got my money with this new PC

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Very vague question.

"Trust" them to do what?
    Not steal anything I type via my keyboard...as in they don't install keyloggers by default?
    Trust that they don't send my information to black markets?
    Trust that they'll be in business tomorrow or not have some backdoor in the OS that has it shut down on April Fool Day?

I trust that they will be in business down the road to continue supporting their products.
    I trust that my machine will run well, with the caveat that I install it on quality hardware and do necessary steps to protect my operating system
    I trust that most properly made software will run on Microsofts OS well, with the caveat that I read and exceed the requirements and other things.

If I trust MS, do I also need to trust Mozilla, Sun, Adobe, Symantec, Eset, Antivir, MalwareBytes, Stamford Folding, Intuit, Juniper, Cisco, Sonicwall, iD, Foxit, Apple, Skype, VNC, EA Games, Steam, Google, RIM, Paragon, Acronis,...running out of time to keep listing software on my computers....

The tin foil hat can cause much loss of sleep.
    I trust them like any other vendor I purchase products from..that it will do what it's designed to do fairly well. Just like trusting GM or Jeep or Saab or BMW or Alfa Romeo....to do what you bought it to do.

8. Daveski17

Just as long as M$ doesn't go all Toyota on anyone it should be OK. ;)

9. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Microsoft has become VERY INTRUSIVE in thier latest OS's and its quite sickening.......

They didnt used to be like that.....

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

From the moment I use Windows, I trust MS...:D

11. xandros

xandros Registered Member

if you mean i trust microsoft in her op system , yes some thimes , but i dont trust microsoft programs for example mes , office ,

12. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Absolutly not.

13. Daveski17

After the last patches I re-booted to find Aeroglass Vista replaced with Windows Classic or Basic or something. It was OK after a reboot but it doesn't make me any more confident.

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's to do with a scheduled diagnostic monthly task for refreshing your "Windows Experience Index", which I believe only happens if your PC is on at the time.

Anyway, you can disable the scheduled task "WinSAT" to prevent this from happening.

Task Manager > Microsoft > Windows > Maintenance

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  15. microbial

microbial Registered Member

No more, no less than any other multinational corporation.

16. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

same question, did you trust Apple or are just another fan boy? me? i dont trust any big company whatever the name is the best you cand do is not be a slave of them, let them to fight for us the customers who have the money that they want.

17. njespo

njespo Registered Member

trust microsoft? i suppose i trust them as much as i do the maker of the car i drive....or the food i eat...or the scotch i drink...etc... :)

18. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the info. :thumb:

19. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

In more than 15 years I've never had any problems with Windows/Microsoft, so yeah, I trust them ;)

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

How do you know you can or cannot trust them?

By what you read or hear?

How do you know you can trust the sources that say you can or cannot trust M$?

How does your 'opinion' change if you don't use your computer online at all? Is it different?

What do you suppose M$ really wants from you when you do go online? Your bank statements? Your CC numbers/pins?

Or, are they more concerned with developing new products, to sustain income, that might benefit from certain aspects of your online activities? Maybe they want to curb piracy and desire to know all they can about your license? They are the intellectual owners after all.

So, what exactly is it that you do or do not trust them with? Is trust something you can both give and deny? Can you trust them with your system when not online and distrust them when you are online?

Food for thought ;)

Sul.

21. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Trust is both and emotional and logical act. Emotionally, it is where you expose your vulnerabilities to people, ( Microsoft) but believing they will not take advantage ...
    I choose to trust Microsoft

Best Reards to all

22. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

There's no issue of trust or no trust here for me. Or perhaps there's a lot of it...

I use their OS, have both good and bad experiences with it. I admire them for certain things and criticize them for others. I want to screw them up at times but I want them to improve too. Privacy issues?? - I'm aware of those but so am I aware of privacy issues that exist in other companies and software. Long EULA, complicated terms?? - others have it too.

I realize that MS is neither saint nor perfect but it isn't entirely evil either. If I can trust them in certain areas, I will. But if I can't, I won't. It isn't a direct easy relationship that can be summarized in a 1000 words essay (or more) but it's one that I chose to stick with...or perhaps I'm 'forced' to....heck, I don't know.

In short, I just accept things the way it is...and if I don't like something, I try to avoid it...if I can and if I'm willing to. MS isn't my friend and it isn't my enemy. That's how it is and I told you as it is. For me, that is.

23. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Yes, I trust, I have nothing against MS, so im is just another company.

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, to do what the company mission is. Would I trust them to test safety of drugs in research or for poison in food, no, but that is kind of a duh. It's a big company and they are into all kinds of things including some charity type stuff so I had to clear that up. ;)

25. Creer

Creer Registered Member

+1
    Well said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.