Do You Still Run Some Windows 98 Programs on Newer Systems?

Discussion in 'polls' started by EASTER, Jun 20, 2017.

?

Do You Still Run Some Windows 98 Programs on Newer Systems?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2017.
  1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No

83.3%
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

On Windows 10 CU I can still run Soloway's Task Scheduler for one.
    (I always loved that program, totally configurable and command line accepting. I use it to schedule a time to fire up some Flash Timers and counters (Full Screen) I made on XP.

General File Finder for two.

And some Windows 98 screensavers pop out better than ever now.

I'm sure there are others in storage and on the net that I haven't tried yet but if they are still useful with no serious memory leaks, and Windows will let it, I still like running those 98's on modern systems.

2. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I still run Picture-it on Windows 7.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have FineReader 5.0 Pro, which I got as a giveaway, installed on my computer. I don't actually use it, but maybe someday I will.

But, for software I use regularly, nothing else is quite so old.

4. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Nope. :cool:

5. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

Yup. Win 7 HP SP1 x64, and Lotus SmartSuite, Paintshop Pro v6, AMP Font Viewer 3.86, DLExpert download manager, Icon Snatcher, IconEdit32, Soulseek 157ns13e, M$ WinDiff, WinAmp 5.56... If they ain't broke, why fix 'em?

I tried GIMP, but that couldn't see the TWAIN driver in W7 and precious little of the WIA. PSP sees all of both of them. That's typical of functionality from last century, it just keeps on giving. Lotus is still a productivity dream come true.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@gorblimey Your mention of Lotus SmartSuite, reminded be I've got Lotus Organizer from 1998 on my laptop. It appears to run fine under Windows 10. I don't use it at the moment, but I got it as a giveaway and figured I might find a use for it one day, so I installed it.

7. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

Considering somebody gave you what is still considered the best PIM in the world... If you can source a SmartSuite CD, many bits of Organizer fit straight into SmartCenter so you simply pull a Calendar down to check your appointments, or open the Address drawer.

It's funny now, but moving from W2K to W7, I'd heard all the horror stories of software that wouldn't work and needed all sorts of Compatibility tweaks. But I never had a moment's trouble, they (almost) all slotted in as if designed to go there. I did have a problem with Eudora 3.6 Lite. Took me 30 minutes of swearing before I realised a 16-bit app won't make it onto a 64-bit platform :gack:

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Sorry, no.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.