Do you run 'Full on-demand AV scans' while performing other tasks?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macstorm, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I use to run a 'full on-demand AV scan' weekly, while no other programs are running along it. I always thought it is the best way to do this task.

I'm curious about how everyone perform this task and/or how often. :)

Regards,

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

3 times a week with Nod and Antivir on 2 computers that yes, are scanned and used at the same time. No slow down.

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have heard conflicting reports on the effectiveness of running scans while other programs other then the OS is in use, If you are asking from a resource standpoint it will of course vary from PC to PC depending on the hardware configuration and the coding of the AV program regarding the usage of the available hardware.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I've run a couple of full scans with Avira to find False Positives while using the computer. No slowdown, but Avira has a setting to slow down and not take priority if other things are being done on the computer during a scan.

Generally, I do not run full scans on a routine basis. During the six months I had KAV 2006, I never ran a full scan.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I don't shutdown any background tasks, I just run my scans overnight or whenever convenient.

6. ThunderZ

Do not know if the OP was referring to background tasks or other "every day" applications he may be running while attempting to scan.

7. WSFuser

is p2p a everyday application? i usually leave them running. i also leave Steam and WinSnap in teh systray.

8. Macstorm

I think it's the latter..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

9. ThunderZ

For some it may be. I just mean that an AV may not give accurate results while scanning a running program as opposed to a non-running program. Could be totally wrong on this and\or results may vary depending on the AV being used.

10. WSFuser

that could be true, but so far my scans have run well.

11. Macstorm

I meant 'every' program offline and closed (including p2p).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

12. ThunderZ

That is my preferred way to run a scan. While with my DSL I am on line full time I consider myself off line when all Internet accessing programs are shut down due to setting behind a NAT router and a software FW. I also do not run any other programs then what normally run upon PC startup while scanning. Hope we have answered your question. :rolleyes:

13. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

That's the method that I prefer. I have a weekly scan scheduled to run while I'm away from my machine. No muss, no fuss.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

at least once a week.:thumb:

15. Macstorm

Thanks Thunder :thumb:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

About once a month; I do not use automatic set time scans. and no, when I do scan I always do only the scan, no multi-tasking while the scan is going on.... launch the scan and go do something else and come back later.

Only been infected one time in over ten years of PC use. And 6 years of internet use. ;) I have always used some sort of firewall and AV usually with some sort of other malware scanner too.

17. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I run very few full system scans, maybe one every couple months or so. I'm running fewer full system scans as time goes, since they never find anything. When I do run a full scan, it usually at night or when I'm elsewhere.
    Rick

18. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AntiVir supports Scanning while working with three user settings for "Priority" of the scan, as well as ability to pause or stop the scan.

Should you have any reason to suspect malware, a scan done in 'Safe Mode' will be more thorough as well as faster than in Normal Windows.

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

lol. It's been a while since i press the scan button. Avast! will do it when it pleases. I scan less and less since joining Wilders. That's what i like about Avast!, it simply works:thumb:

AS's yes, since the "free" versions will only do it on demand. These really need the cpu's attention. Then i close all the apps, except maybe Emule when it's running. I won't stop that. I'll lose download momentum...
    The last thing i found were some files from UBCD4WIN, flagged dangerous:D
    Also scans here are declining.

Thanks to all of you, who still teach me daily!

20. ThunderZ

:D Glad to have helped.

21. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Nah i usually schedule it for a time when i won't be on my computer.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i run a scan weekly on wednesday at 12am when normaly no one is home to use the pc.
    lodore

23. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

If I am using an AV app or suite long term, I only do full scans about once a month, unless I suspect something may be amiss, but I always do a full scan whenever I install a new AV program or suite, otherwise most of them nag you until you do so, or complain that your system isn't fully protected. I usually shut down everything else to do the scan, and then go and watch a movie or something for a couple of hours, rather than trying to compete for resources. KIS (and possibly some others?) will concede resources to other applications, but this obviously will make the scan take longer, although with KIS's iSwift and iChecker features, this isn't such an issue, as long as you are not concerned about files being skipped. Currently, I am using F-Secure, which I am having trouble completing a full system scan with, but the hard drives scan takes about 1 hour 50 minutes to complete.

24. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I don't even remember when i last did a full on demand AV scan. It may not have been more than 10 times in two years. :D

25. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

My preferred method of Full on-demand scanning is about 1-2 hours AFTER i have already booted up for the first time of each day.

Since i gone back to dial-up this winter i no longer leave the PC on 24/7 like when i had wireless hi-speed DSL the potential threat risks of leaving it open are nullified completely.

With this new KIS6 suite i run the Critical Areas scan as defined to my preferences and of course everything else is pretty much automatic with this one. I don't require it to start with windows but i do allow a scan on program start when ready for on-demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.