Do you participate in Folding@Home or other distributed computing (DC) project?

Discussion in 'polls' started by WSFuser, Nov 26, 2006.

?

Do you participate in Folding@Home or other distributed computing (DC) project?

1. Yes I actively participate

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I am unable to participate (explain)

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. I refuse to participate (explain)

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. What is distributed computing?

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Just a simple poll to determine DC participation from forum members.

If you voted for the last option, you can find more info here and here.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I voted 3, because most of those projects are useless (SETI). It is just for fans.
    As for ther rest, I would need more info, if it really helps, to see some real results.
    I could also vote second, my hardware can not afford to have CPU at 100% all day.
    My CPU has burn out and it can operate only at lower speed and I can not buy new.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Had to do a double take, just voted in the other poll. LOL

Yes. Folding@Home. I have two computers folding right now and plan on adding a third. Started folding around April 2005.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Chris,

Way to go! I'll bet you've got a ton of WU's completed!

Take Care
    Rico

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also voted no. Several reasons.

1) I question whether it really helps having cpu's scattered everywhere.

2) I also don't want my CPU's running full out. Makes a big difference on their temperature and hence there life.

3). I just don't want anything from anywhere but me running on my machine. What would happen if one of these groupls were hacked.

4). If my machines aren't going to be used by me for my business use for an extended period (like several hours) I shut them down.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No time, not interested.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Peter,

1. It really does work, they have far more computing power than SuperComputers! Have you looked at CastleCops forum, they have, dedicated forum where, the user can choose which DC project to take part in. You can make a big difference. Oxford University, helping design drugs, to fight/cure cancer. DC is just to big & prevalent & relied on, by the scientific community to not work. Why would prestigous universitites, put so much effort into DC if it did not work?

2. See pic.: I set FAH's screensaver to start 10 min, (XP's SS to off), you can fold, only when SS is on if desired. Next my monitor goes off 1 hour, Next HDD is off in 2 hours. So FAH can't run for ever. I'm sure it can be set up as a scheduled process also.

3. Yes! I can understand that concern! That's why I have very strong computer security or defense. ProcessGuard, RegDefend it will be tough, given the very remote chance Stanford' FAH becomes hacked & sends out malware, for me to become infected. I also think this is a very valid question & concern, holding some back from volunteering!!! I will post at FAH as to what security precautions they take so users, won't be infected. Also in all my surfing I've yet to hear any complaints regarding, malware coming from DC. Finally! The amount of GOOD I can do, outweighs the limited risks I take, It makes me feel good to know that this machine is helping cure CANCER & other nasty real world diseases!

4. When the SS is on you fold. SS gone = no Folding. When your ready to shutdown, just shutdown. I turn this box off, when i go to bed. Hey last night I watched a crappy movie & for the time it took, to watch it I helped find a cure for cancer.

Give it a try! If not at least read up on DC & help spread the word. You can always use "add/remove" if it's not for you.

I don't mean to come across has harsh, just passionate!

As Always Take Care
    Rico

Attached Files:

• fah2.jpg
      fah2.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
  8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Thanks Rico, 111 WU's, 16850 points, I think you have quit a few more than I. Just moved up to number 12 at Team Philippines.

I was using a P2 400MHz machine, plus I took a long break from folding. (No internet at the time.) Now I have a P4 3GHz and my 400Mhz (dedicated), soon a 2.6GHz all folding. I fold under same name as here at Wilders.

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I wanted to participate in CPDN but my hardware/OS is too old for their software. This is one of the more useful of the distributed computing projects when you consider just how severe the climate changes might be.
    Rick

10. Dragan Glas

Dragan Glas Registered Member

Greetings,

Please pardon the intrusion...

I thought that all here might like to know that there are a number of articles at the Team CastleCops site relating to these projects and their value to science and humanity.

Perhaps those here might wish to read:
    On The Selection Of A Research Project

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask either here or at the CastleCops site. :D

And thank you Rico for mentioning us! :thumb:

Kindest regards,

Dragan Glas
    Team CC Chief Host

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  12. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Wow, that is pretty impressible, okay incredibly impressive :D I am one WU # 3, but I have noticed that the sizes of my workorders keep on getting larger and larger (first one was 100,000 steps, this one is 50,000,000 steps (I'm 81% of the way done though, so its coming along)

Pretty suprised at all of the 'I refuse to participate' people. Why do you refuse? It makes your computer a great space heater for those cold mornings *puppy*

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

13. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Thanks...I've lost a lot of people in my life to cancer...so it's a project I enjoy contributing to. I run it on quite a few clients computers, with their permission of course..I ask them and tell them what Folding is about. I only install it on PC's that will be running 24/7, and PC's where it will not conflict with any software, PC's that can afford to have some CPU power taken.

The Folding project already has had documented contributions to the medical research community..it's not useless.

14. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Tried Seti and a few other's and it was like watching paint dry.

I eventually moved on to a project that would utilise my 16MB... well about 9MB bandwidth.

http://www.majestic12.co.uk

Grubee :D that's me:
    http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/stats.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2006
  15. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

Seti@Home for several years now, i recently passed 250,000 Work Units. BOINC Synergy.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.