Do you P2P?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Meltdown, Aug 22, 2005.

?

Do you P2P?

1. Yes

133 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. No

108 vote(s)
    44.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

On very rare occassions I do. Mostly if I'm looking for something for a family member.

I'm careful though, haven't had an infection or infiltration at all.

2. toploader

toploader Registered Member

i would never install p2p on a personal computer.

a few years back i used Kazaa but i used an Internet Cafe which had a T1 link and refreshed it's operating system after logoff. by reloading it's operating system there was no virus or spyware problems.

at one stage i had something like 30 consecutive downloads going, mostly video files - those were the days :D these days i'm just on 56k dialup - what i don't understand is why my average download speed is 5k a tenth of the rated speed of the modem, surely i should be getting at least 40k??

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

dialup = ~56 kilobits per second = ~5 kilobytes per second

4. toploader

toploader Registered Member

hi WSFuser, i think they both refer to bits? i've seen bursts of 17k at the beginning of a download then it drops down until it bottoms out around 5 k.

5. WSFuser

8 bits = 1 byte. on dialup i too have seen bursts like that but i find to mean nothing.

6. culla

culla Registered Member

BLOODY OATH I DO where else can you get whatever you want for free bearshare lite now used to be kazzalite but that got screwed up never downloaded anything bad via mp3 or movies only found viruses in applications which have an .exe normally easy to sus out by checking file size. legal, thats a laugh. check out what your gov,bank,police force,judges,politicians are doing on the side and right in front of you and the goddam petrol prices keep going up a little revenge is good

7. Trekk

Trekk Registered Member

No Spyware on Kazaa?! There is nothing about Kazaa that isnt infected with Spyware. Do a simple test sometime. Build a new workstation, install nothing but Kazaa, download a few items, then scan. I learned that the hard way :(

Trekk

8. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Kazaa Lite+ has no spyware. I know it's a "hacked" version, but it is still spyware/trojan free.

9. WSFuser

dont forget k-lite, another hacked version.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Very High Risk way to go.

Nope.

One day maybe only if I have a weak moment. Not yet anyway. :p

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Yes, I do. I use LimeWire Pro (after having tried most of the major ones).

Not only have I not ever been "infected by malware" in over seven years of P2P use - I have never even seen an alert of any type from any of my defensive programs that related to P2P.

IMO, given the slightest amount of common sense and even the most minimal application of "safe hex" practices while using P2P, your chance of infection is slim to non-existent.

And the same applies to IM usage. Pete

12. rawr

rawr Registered Member

BitComet for movies..Limewire Pro for music..even though Limewire Pro does have spyware even though it advertises that it doesn't. :rolleyes: ..stupid WebP2P spyware. :(

13. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

sure do.
    Use LimeWire. I want to where the P2P movies are? But I know no one's gona tell me :D

14. ice60

ice60 Guest

15. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Thanks ice :D
    I will try the link again in a bit, it keeps timing out for now.
    What I have always looked for is whole movies like example "scooby-doo", lol :D and other file share movies
    Ones I can download and burn to a writable CD or 2 or 3. Just like I do music.
    Does azureus do that?
    Oh, and sorry for the silly question, but what does bittorrent mean? Thanx ;)

16. WSFuser

"The name "BitTorrent" refers to the distribution protocol, the original client application, and the .torrent file type" -wikipedia

also keep in mind uses azureus relies on java and consumes lots of memory. and if u have nod32 with imon enabled, add javaw.exe to IMONs exclusion list to alleviate performance issues.

17. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

I tried a couple of BitTorrent clients. Azureus is nice but, as WSFuser says, heavy on the RAM, ABC used to max out the CPU if I had multiple active torrents, so now I'm a happy BitComet user.

You need to hunt around the web to find the torrents you want. This is a good guide to various trackers.

A problem with BitTorrent in the US (and some other countries) is that the way the technology works, you're simultaneously downloading and uploading, and if the content is copyrighted (i.e. most films and music) then - if I've got this right - by uploading you're breaking the law. Despite that, there are plenty of BitTorrent users in the States.

For more information on BitTorrent, trackers, legal aspects and P2P in general, try the Slyck and Zeropaid forums.

18. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

To actually download files you will need to go to websites called directorys>slyck.con and a good selection of sites you can trust,

Tom

19. WSFuser

i thought they were called trackers? neways u download a .torrent file and open it with client which then download the actual file(s).

20. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Sites are called directories and the tracker is the information that comes with the torrent file and connects you to the seeders and downloaders! T

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, the difference between Limewire and Azureus is - with Limewire you type in your search, then download :D with Azureus, or any Bittorrent, you go to a Bittorrent site on the internet and find what you are looking for on that site. you then download a little file that tells your Bittorrent client what to download, your client will then load and start the download. if you manage to download it i'll PM you some sites if you like. :)

22. WSFuser

ill PM some sites as well if u wish.

23. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

If you know what the HEX you are doing on the computer and using the right program to protect your computer, knowing the right set-up, and just plain common sense. Would you want to download a file that is 4kb and it is a VBS, Bat, Exe, Sys and so on and so on.... :eek: :eek: :D

24. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Once upon a time, I read a link and get impressed. The author tells me it is a misconception that P2P is full of malware - very very unsafe. In fact, it is not partially correct only.
    Sure it has its own risks, but it may be no much differences, like, when you browse a lot of places (even if you don't go necessarily dangerous like warez, crackz etc. sites).
    It has statistics which proves this.
    But where's the link? Where? Can't find it... urrh... (so maybe you just forget what I say)
    Note: Hopefully I can find the link before the "edit" button expires. :rolleyes:

PS: Don't take wrong that I am saying P2P is 100% safe or very safe. If you read carefully, I have never made such a claim in my post. I just point out it may not be as dark as people might think.

25. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Forget to say, I vote for "no" since I rarely, not to say never, use P2P.
    I use a bit more of BT, but the usage is going to be very little either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.