Do you know how to make and/or configure firewall rules?

Discussion in 'polls' started by datarishik, Dec 20, 2010.

?

Do you know to make and/or configure firewall rules?

1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

17.6%
  3. I'm in the process of learning...

13.9%
  4. I let my firewall do it for me.

19.4%
  5. Other answers...

1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

The subject is the question.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Re: Do you know to make and/or configure firewall rules?

My vote: yes.

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

My answer is yes.

4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yes - I have to know that. I use L'n'S Firewall :)

5. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes as I always only used rule-based fw (ConcealPF --> 8Signs) until now (L'n'S or ... on 7x64)

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nope, i don't fully understand how programs works :D (Things such as Port 80 is for browsers, general apps etc.)

7. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Yes I do, thanks to the threads by fellow Wilders member Stem! :thumb:

8. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've been using rule based firewalls for the last 6 years. It's the only type of firewall I will use.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, a rule-based firewall helps to understand it "by force" thanks to google, though ICMP messages are a little confusing, but they are blocked by default, so whatever.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Although I know, I no longer use a software Firewall.
    I configured my NAT/SPI Firewall (Modem-Router) and my DefenseWall Firewall.

11. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

I will not say that I fully grasp how to completely configure a firewall. But I do not feel that I am totally hopeless. But when I run into constant troubles and can't get the firewall to do, what I whant it to do, then I can feel a instant activation of the neanderthal brain.:D

12. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i leave the firewall same default and never try to play with it coz i dont know so i leave the firewall of comodo protect me and today i will remove comodo and i will try norton internet security and also i will dont play with the firewall i dont know what i must to do , can you teach us how to make the firewall more better than default ?

13. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

As for me, I'm still learning. Thanks to all the threads by Stem and other members.:thumb:

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

My answer, yes.

15. carat

carat Guest

No (somewhat) :doubt:

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

In the process of learning. I know nothing about Linux firewalls though, which I've let them do it for me.

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes I do, and thankfully am slowly forgetting it.

Sul.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No, and I don't care much nowadays. I used to think it might have been useful to learn years ago but in the end most firewalls work very well out of the box for the average user that I am. I also think that virtualization/sandboxing will compensate for much of my ignorance. I still use Look'n'Stop on my best machine, but only with 'application filtering' active.

I do think however, that knowing how to configure effectively a firewall can be a very powerful security layer, particularly against hackers.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why is that?

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I spent many years across 95,98,98se,ME(yes, I admit I had it),NT,2k and XP trying my best to be the "master" of what went on. Firewalls were really the first geek tool I started to learn, then HIPS etc. I configured and configured, learnt and reconfigured. Broadband only worsened it, as now it was always on as opposed to dialup.

I learned a lot from it, but my anal-ish type personality could not get enough, until at one point I had to say enough is enough. Too many prompts or too much configuring. Everything that executed was suspect - does it phone home, does it open a port, does it write anywhere, where is it reading.

To make matters worse I did not like the prospect of M$ collecting data, even whether I was a legitimate user or not. I just thought it was none of thier business, so I put a lot of heavy rules in place to handle things like SVCHOST, etc.

I did not have infection problems with a few malwares I should have opted out of during setup etc. But at some point I realized I might be in control of everything and have fort knox security, but it was all that I did. I could not even play a game without spending an hour examing what was going on, doing dns lookups, traceroutes, whois, etc etc, to make sure things were kosher.

I have slowly weaned myself off that extreme end of things. In all that time, only a very few items ever really needed my outbound firewall protection, or for that matter any protection. Items I downloaded from the internet have had viruses, but then I used an AV and was not afraid to execute because I had everything hooked pretty deeply.

Now, I am glad I rarely mess with a firewall. It gives me more time to devote to DACL research or coding somthing, or whatever else I might want to do. Once in awhile I want to create a port forwarding rule or something, and I put a firewall on to see what is happening. I get these strange compulsions to go back to using a firewall because there is something comforting in knowing nothing is coming or going without my approval.. but then I stop myself, repeat my 10 anti-security omens, and move on ;)

I think everyone should know how to use them, especially application aware ones, as they, along with HIPS, are great tutors. I just don't think they are as beneficial as they used to be for a lot of folks, especially myself.

Sul.

21. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Don't have a clue and i'm not willing to learn either :D . I use XP firewall for years and don't bother

22. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yes and no.I can configure to a certain degree but confusing at times.I just use the wall in windows 7 to block all incoming and notify for home or public networks.

Imo windows wall is the lightest and the least of problems as far as firewalls go. Beside my windows firewall, I am behind a router firewall enabled,and Its done me good thus far.

23. NRProia

NRProia Registered Member

Hello,

I was forced to learn how to add a firewall rule to Comcast's Norton Security Suite when I found out that VMware Player was leaving a port wide open (all of my other ports were closed or stealthed). I use GRC.com to scan my ports from the outside:

GRC.com - ShieldsUP!
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Regards,

Nathan

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never happened to me, are you behind a hardware firewall?

25. NRProia

NRProia Registered Member

Hello,

No, just Norton Security Suite. FYI, here is the firewall rule:

Firewall Rule - Port 912
    Block, Direction: Inbound, Computer: Any, Communications: Specific, Protocol: TCP

Before the firewall rule, GRC.com reported that port 912 was red (open). After the firewall rule, all ports were reported as green (stealthed) and passed the TrueStealth analysis.

Regards,

Nathan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.