do you have any XP install advice? - setup tips, dos and don'ts, apps etc

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm planning to install XP today, or tomorrow. i haven't set it up for a while and was wondering if anyone has an tips to help secure and setup XP? i'm worried i might forget something that's important.

as well as any tips are there any apps (like safexp) and links to setup/tips pages you know? (i was thinking of that northern european guy who works at the nuclear power station who posts at dslreports - jonnas jansson, or something similar, do you know his site url?) any useful links will be a help. thanks.

i might write a XP setup guide in the next few weeks once i've got everything setup :eek:

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello. :)

I'm not quite sure if this is what you're looking for, but Black Viper has a guide on installing XP Pro on this page. You may also like to take a look at his Services guide, as well as his 'Super tweaks'. As a matter of fact, explore his whole site a bit, he's an extraordinary character.

Also, our member Mrkvonic has a guide which he wrote on his page. Take a look at his site, it's quite interesting.

Cheers ;)

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'd forgotten about Black Viper, there's the eldergeek too. i'm using vmware too so i'll look through Mrkvonic's stuff as well. thanks.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you have time/patience, you could experiment with nLite (see sig). it has many functions including removing components, created an unattended install, applying tweaks and more.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I second that, once you have such a customized "Windows Install CD", you never have to do it again. Always get rid of problems once and for all.

6. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

My bet is you mean Markus Jansson?
    http://www.markusjansson.net/erecent.html

regards
    /T

7. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

You may want to take a look at Tweakhounds: The Right Way to Install Windows XP (a little basic but pretty good and has some good suggestions) and Super XP Tweaking Guide (although I wouldn't recommend doing everything he recommends in the guide, there are some good suggestions and sources of information).

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks everyone, i'll go through all the links, i remembered i've got a list of everything i had installed when i used XP, i had a program that listed the contents of every folder, i've got some old bookmarks too - one of the bookmarks had links for setting up XP.

just before i stopped using windows i downloaded nLite, so i might look at that too.

Teknokrat, thanks for the link, it was Markus Jansson i was thinking of.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

just an fyi if u want to use nlite, u need to have an existing installation first and then u can use the new created windows cd.

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.